• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change child support from PA to NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oreocookie1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

My exhusband lives in PA. After the divorce, I moved to NJ with my children... That was 9 years ago. I never changed the support order so it's still in Berks County PA. Can I file to move this to NJ? He does have a house in New Jersey as well as PA.

single317dad

My exhusband lives in PA. After the divorce, I moved to NJ with my children... That was 9 years ago. I never changed the support order so it's still in Berks County PA. Can I file to move this to NJ? He does have a house in New Jersey as well as PA.
Why would you want to do this? On the face, it seems like a lot of trouble for little or no benefit.

garrula lingua

Yes, you can do this (and it is advisable to do, as his resident state has jurisdiction over him for service and contempt charges if he doesn't pay).

You can either register your order for enforcement in NJ (you can do that privately, through an attorney), or you can take a copy of your order (best if it's a certified copy) to the child support agency in your area, fill out an application for service, and ask that agency to begin enforcement/collection (and check on whether the order should be modified).

The child support agency will register/enforce/collect child support for you, as long as there is still current support being collected.

ecmst12

But...PA IS the obligor's resident state, or so OP says. He has a house in NJ but I bet it's a vacation home.

peppergray

Exact same situation with me, what happened?

I moved to nj also and am in process of trying to get things changed to NJ, did it work out for you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">