• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changes in child support and income taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sherlyn10

I live in Michigan and was divorced in 1999. We chose to not go through friend of the court for payment of child support. The judge ordered the amount of child support to be paid to me as the custodial parent, which myself and my ex husband agreed upon at the time. It's now been 5 years without any modification and my ex'es income has greatly increased but not the child support. How do I go about having it modified ? Do I need to contact the circuit court for a modification, or contact the friend of the court to open a case and have it modified? Another question is my ex claiming my son on his taxes, I overlooked the provision in our divorce decree which states "the plantiff shall be allowed to claim the minor children on his federal,state,and local tax returns" However the IRS requires that the decree state that I will not claim my son,and state the years for which the claim is released which it does not. Is there any way that this can be removed from the decree to avoid the confrontation with my ex over this year after year? His income is 4 times the amount of mine. I am in need of the child tax credit, he is not. not at $75,000.00 per year and single. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">