• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing Child Support Obligation??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ironmom

What is the name of your state?Colorado
My ex and I share joint custody of our son. He quit his job a few years ago to go back to college for an engineering degree. (He has since dropped out and stays at home with his girlfriend, who supports him.) He was a well paid CPA at the time he quit his job. Since our divorce in 1998, I have remarried and been promoted. He hasn't paid child support for 2 years. Also, when he quit his job, I had to start carrying insurance for my son. This really bothered me, since he made such a big deal out of it during out divorce. He INSISTED on carrying the health insurance for our son (I imagine that reduced the amount he had to pay out to me). I have not made an issue out of any of this since I can provide everything my son needs. However, it does bother me and I have a few questions regarding this situation. Can he demand support from me since he quit his job? I'm sure that he knows I am making more money since our divorce. Maybe he thinks that since our son is in school now we don't have the daycare expense. However, as every parent knows, there are still plenty of expenses (just different ones!). I am afraid to talk to him about this without getting more information first. Any help appreciated. Thanks

S

seniorjudge

You have let him get away with not paying for two years?

Why?

His child support is based on what he can and did earn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">