• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing states of residence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrgq018

What is the name of your state?Tennessee

Hello, this is my first time here, but I have a really important question(s) for someone to answer for my fiance, her child, and myself.

My fiance lived with one another and her (our) daughter in the state of Kentucky and received child support from the biological father for approximately one year. The biological father never contested paternity and made regular payments during this time. One year ago we both decided to go to college, I myself returning after a 3 year period. We now reside in the state of Tennessee, the biological father still residing in the state of Illinios. Upon moving here we received payments for about 3 months until the state of Tennessee finally decided that we need to change over to their department of child services and receive payments from them. We now had to submit to DNA testing of my fiance, our daughter, and the biological father, even though he never contested parternity the first go around. So far we have been unable to receive word on how much longer we will have to wait to once again receive payments. Upon contacting the appropriate people in the Illinios Department of Child Services we were rudely informed that this may take up to one and half years for payments to be disbursed. Is their any way to speed up this process? What about back support for the time he didn't pay and for the time between residence changes? These payments which we desperately need are part of the reason we decided it was time for me to finish my degree and move into my field of choice. Now it looks like we will have to drop out of college and go back to restaurant operations, on the lower end of the income bracket. Please help! We don't want to be a part of this headache any longer!

Sincerely,

James

nextwife

Were the CS payments being done originally by court order, or voluntarilly? Did they ever legally establish paternity?

If she DID consider him legally the father, did she get his authorization before removing the child from the father's state?

mrgq018

The payments were started through the state of KY. They were made on a regular basis. Paternity was never contested by him then. He was not listed on the birth certificate. We moved without notification to him, because we never could document where his current address was. Once upon arriving in TN, we learned that DNA proof was needed.

mrgq018

The biologial father was not part of my fiancee's life throughout her pregnancy. He was VERY aware of the move from Illinois to Kentucky and stated no problem with it.

He was not posted on the birth certificate. However he did send letters and cards to the child durring her first three months of birth letting her know that he loved her very much.

There is a court case open in Illinois. As I stated earlier Illinois is being difficult. However it is NOT Illinois. It is Tennessee. They claim they have yet to recieve the needed files from Kentucky (though Kentucky has said time and again they have sent several copies). They also are telling us that it's Illinois that is not cooperating. I would like to know who else there is that we can get ahold of to figure these things out other than the state selected "lawyers". Because we are hurting terribly being in school with a young child.

FYI we're in Tennessee currently and plan on being here for a few more years for school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">