• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Care Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moecasey

What is the name of your state? NY

My daughter is going to be 13 in July. Her mother does not send her to any after school care. Either my daughter stays home alone, goes to my mothers or her aunt comes to her apt. My daughters mother is taking me back to court for increased Child Support. We were just in court 2 months ago for Child Care reduction. Now she put in a petition to have it increased stating my daughters needs increased with school activies/extra cirriculiums (which she does not belong to any...mother never permitted her to join). She also is sending her to a camp this summer. I paid for it last summer while she pocketed the alloted Child Care expense money. Is she able to force me to pay for summer camps? It is a $3000 for 4 wks and I would love for my daughter to be able to attend again this year but the expense is too much of a burden for me at this time. I have 3 step kids and if we were to send all 4 kids to camp the expense would be $12,000 for 4 wks. Is there any legal age that Child Care expenses not Support are no longer enforced?
Thanks for your help!!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
moecasey said:

My daughter is going to be 13 in July. Her mother does not send her to any after school care. Either my daughter stays home alone, goes to my mothers or her aunt comes to her apt. My daughters mother is taking me back to court for increased Child Support. We were just in court 2 months ago for Child Care reduction. Now she put in a petition to have it increased stating my daughters needs increased with school activies/extra cirriculiums (which she does not belong to any...mother never permitted her to join). She also is sending her to a camp this summer. I paid for it last summer while she pocketed the alloted Child Care expense money. Is she able to force me to pay for summer camps? It is a $3000 for 4 wks and I would love for my daughter to be able to attend again this year but the expense is too much of a burden for me at this time. I have 3 step kids and if we were to send all 4 kids to camp the expense would be $12,000 for 4 wks. Is there any legal age that Child Care expenses not Support are no longer enforced?
Thanks for your help!!!
The thing is, the court is NOT going to look at the expense for 4 kids.. the court will only care about the expense for 1 kid. Unless your expenses changed from last summer, the court MIGHT decide to make you pay half again this year. Because all four are NOT your responsibility. They are the responsibility of the other side.
Child care expenses are enforced as long as they are in the child support order. If you don't want to enforce them, you get them reduced. Like you siad you did. Your ex will make her arguments and you can make yours.

Neal1421

moecasey said:

Thanks for your help!!!
Why isn't the father of your 3 step kids paying for them to go to camp? Does he pay your wife child support for them?

moecasey

Yes there is an agreement for Child Care in the stipulation. But that was for after school and school closed days. She did not utilize that care at all last year. All the places my daughter attended in the past do not even except children 13 yr old. I was just wondering where the court draws the line for what is considered Child Care and what is extra cirricular activies? I always was required to pay 75%. I don't know what my daughters mother's salary is at this time. How do I find that out? Court or her lawyer? I can not speak directly with her. She is irrational.

Yes the father of my 3 step kids does pay child support to my wife. No matter how you look at it we are married and a unit. What ever bills are paid for her children are my bills and my child support payments are her payments.

Thanks for your help

nextwife

Neal1421 said:
Why isn't the father of your 3 step kids paying for them to go to camp?
Correction: Why isn't the father AND the mother of your stepkids paying for camp for them?

Heck, I'm not even divorced and I work and pay for my kid's summer camp because I want her to be able to go.

nextwife

moecasey said:
Can you afford to pay $6000 for a 4 week camp?

No, Dear, I choose a fine, accredited, well rated camp at about $1400 each two week session for the overnight camp, and her day camp program (lots of 13 year olds go there, btw) at about half that for the remainder of summer. . Her fun is not diminished by attending camp that costs less than $3000/per two week session.

moecasey

Anyway we are getting off the point of who pays how much for what camp....as long as the kids are happy it doesn't quite matter does it?

What I really would like to know is how do I find out my daughters mothers salary? What is the NYS law for enforcing extra activities being incorporated as Child Care?

Thanks

BelizeBreeze

When and if she files you can subpoena her financial records including three previous years of tax returns, her last year's w-2 from her employer and any record of earnings she may have had outside of work.

This entire scenario seems a little overbaked. First, she would have to show a real need for after-school care and since she has no record of such, she is asking the court to order payments for future needs. This won't fly.

As for the camp, although it is extra, there are two ways to approach such.

1. cross-petition to share 50/50 for the expenses of the camp and to temorarily suspend support payments for the month she attends the camp.

2. shared expenses per calendar year with the provision that if the party required to pay does not send the child to the camp, they are then responsible for the following year's expense.

moecasey

Thanks for your help BelizeBreeze. Does she have to show her finanicial earnings to the court? I have to show mine. I do not use representation in the courts. She does and her lawyer wants my financial earnings. I don't want to show him...I will show the courts. I don't think the court will suspend child support in lieu of Child care for the month. This is not a sleep away camp. Its daily from 8:30am-4:30pm. If we split the expense I would be happy with that. :D

LdiJ

moecasey said:
Thanks for your help BelizeBreeze. Does she have to show her finanicial earnings to the court? I have to show mine. I do not use representation in the courts. She does and her lawyer wants my financial earnings. I don't want to show him...I will show the courts. I don't think the court will suspend child support in lieu of Child care for the month. This is not a sleep away camp. Its daily from 8:30am-4:30pm. If we split the expense I would be happy with that. :D
You are BOTH going to be required to show your earning information to the court. However the judge is going to be very annoyed with you if you don't comply with discovery and provide it to her attorney.

She and her attorney are going to get the information on your earnings whether you supply it now or you supply it later via the court. Therefore, it would be wise to avoid ticking off the judge by supplying it now.

moecasey

I don't have a problem showing my income. I have in the past and will again this time as well. Being I have no representation I just want to know my rights. Everything gets so rushed with the lawyer I didn't get her information last time. I am still paying today Child Care expenses and my daughter doesn't attend any. We were just in court 2months ago to have the order modified to lower child care expenses and I am pretty sure that same day she filed the petition in increase. Waste of the courts time and mine. She is money hungry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">