• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child care reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Softballislife2

I live in Utah and was ordered to pay $1200 a month for my two kids in child support. I was being garnished from the time we split at an amount that officer of recovery services set up. She is required to pay half the daycare and up until September I was paying all of it. Office of recovery services is now saying I owe back child support in $8,000 which most of it is offset by the daycare that I was paying all of. Plus she didn't work the whole time the kids were in daycare. Office of recovery services won't offset any back daycare expenses because they say they can't go back and change anything Without a court order. How do I go about doing this? Any advice would be great!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in Utah and was ordered to pay $1200 a month for my two kids in child support. I was being garnished from the time we split at an amount that officer of recovery services set up. She is required to pay half the daycare and up until September I was paying all of it. Office of recovery services is now saying I owe back child support in $8,000 which most of it is offset by the daycare that I was paying all of. Plus she didn't work the whole time the kids were in daycare. Office of recovery services won't offset any back daycare expenses because they say they can't go back and change anything Without a court order. How do I go about doing this? Any advice would be great!
Taking the back-room deal on the child support out of the mix...do you owe $8k in back child support?

If she was ordered to pay half the childcare expenses and failed to do so, then you will need to ask the court to find her in contempt. You may wish to consult with a local attorney.

Softballislife2

I do owe $8K in back child support but I was under the impression it would be offset by the cost of daycare because she wasn't paying any of it, I paid all of it.

Zigner

I do owe $8K in back child support but I was under the impression it would be offset by the cost of daycare because she wasn't paying any of it, I paid all of it.
Daycare isn't part of child support in your case.

Is she court-ordered to pay half the daycare costs?

Zigner

That's a court action separate from the one with you answering for your arrears.
While that is true, generally speaking, this is family court. It's possible that the judge will take both matters in to account and issue an order that resolves both at the same time.

LdiJ

While that is true, generally speaking, this is family court. It's possible that the judge will take both matters in to account and issue an order that resolves both at the same time.
But, only if he files a motion to have mom held in contempt for not paying her share of the daycare costs, and only if he asks that the motion be heard along with the child support case.

And...if the arrears are due to the state because mom was on state benefits because she was unemployed, its not going to get offset from the arrears.

Zigner

But, only if he files a motion to have mom held in contempt for not paying her share of the daycare costs, and only if he asks that the motion be heard along with the child support case.

And...if the arrears are due to the state because mom was on state benefits because she was unemployed, its not going to get offset from the arrears.
Agreed .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">