• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Quits School - Child Support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isalter

What is the name of your state? Washington

Anyone know what happens to Child Support when the child drops out of school? I think it says something in the papers that support will be paid as long as the child is enrolled in school? What if they continue their schooling via a GED or something like that? Any information would be great. Child is 15, in Washington State.

bononos

isalter said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

Anyone know what happens to Child Support when the child drops out of school? I think it says something in the papers that support will be paid as long as the child is enrolled in school? What if they continue their schooling via a GED or something like that? Any information would be great. Child is 15, in Washington State.
Typically it is stated as that since some kids graduate early or their birthdays fall so that they may be 17 when they graduate, but you are responsible to support them until age 18 if that is the case.
Try checking the state guidelines for this.
Any chance in talking your kid into staying in school? That should be your big concern.

isalter

We have been trying desperately to keep him in school. Problem is that the school system pass kids regardless how they are doing in school. Out of 6 grades he will have 4 or 5 "F"'s so he gets frustrated with it. He has been talking about a GED lately and that some of his so called friends say it is fine to have just an GED. There has also been rumblings that he may leave the house!. He does not live with us at this time and I dont know of anyway to stop it and the other parent really is not much help in resolving the issue. I will have to check with the local laws to see what happens if he drops out of school and/or leaves the house out on his own. :-(

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How about filing for a change in custody instead of just going along with his dropping out? Honestly - if CP isn't doing his/her job, then you should look into doing it instead. What the heck is wrong with you folks?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">