• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Recieving Back Support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

planet4

My ex owes over $10,000 in back support (actually it's a judgment for interest on unpaid arrears if that makes a difference). Our son recently turned 18. His father is seeking to modify the judgment to have payments given directly to our son instead of me.

What is the likelihood courts will consider/grant his petition? Case is in Washington State.

Isis1

*snort* no. he owes you the money. he does not owe the adult.

now i have seen some cases where CURRENT support payments were rerouted to a "child" in college or living away from home....

but not the arrears.

Proserpina

My ex owes over $10,000 in back support (actually it's a judgment for interest on unpaid arrears if that makes a difference). Our son recently turned 18. His father is seeking to modify the judgment to have payments given directly to our son instead of me.

What is the likelihood courts will consider/grant his petition? Case is in Washington State.

Virtually nil.

WA does not provide for the child to directly receive child support in all but a tiny few exceptions, and this is not one of them.

planet4

Isis... "*snort*" LOL

Thank you both. I didn't think so either. A little affirmation goes a long way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">