• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child ssi and child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djsmama908

I live in new jersey and I receive ssi for my son he is classified as disabled because of his birth defects. I currently receive $764.25 a month in ssi I use this money to pay my rent. I am wondering if I file for chided support will this affect my son ssi ? I am not working and can't afford a decrease as my rent is $700.00 and the rest I use for diapers and other things my son may need like vitamins and cough medicine, activities,clothes,laundry etc... we also get medicaid and food stamps.

LdiJ

I live in new jersey and I receive ssi for my son he is classified as disabled because of his birth defects. I currently receive $764.25 a month in ssi I use this money to pay my rent. I am wondering if I file for chided support will this affect my son ssi ? I am not working and can't afford a decrease as my rent is $700.00 and the rest I use for diapers and other things my son may need like vitamins and cough medicine, activities,clothes,laundry etc... we also get medicaid and food stamps.
No, child support should not effect your son's SSI unless the amount of child support would be unusually high.

I receive SSI for my child and my ex pays $300 per month in child support. Social Security takes $110 off of her check because of the child support that is paid so yes, it is possible it may affect the amount of SSI you receive.

NellieBly

I had $600 in child support and it knocked my son's SSI down to something like $100. Also it would affect your food stamps.

Have you applied for welfare benefits for yourself through the state?

Honestly I don't know about NJ, but you could ask your food stamp worker.

Good luck to you.

LdiJ

Whether or not it gets knocked down depends on the total income of the household. In OP's case it appears that there is little to no other cash income coming into the household, therefore child support is far less likely to impact the SSI amount.

Whether or not it gets knocked down depends on the total income of the household. In OP's case it appears that there is little to no other cash income coming into the household, therefore child support is far less likely to impact the SSI amount.
There is no other cash income coming into my household at this time and the $300 in child support per month does impact the amount of SSI I receive so I stand by what I stated that it may affect how much SSI she receives since I am in the same situation as her.

LdiJ

There is no other cash income coming into my household at this time and the $300 in child support per month does impact the amount of SSI I receive so I stand by what I stated that it may affect how much SSI she receives since I am in the same situation as her.
That doesn't make sense based on the information available here:

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-child-ussi.htm

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
One could assume it is difficult to find affordable child care for a disabled child.
I don't assume. And there are programs available to help with child care. Even for a disabled child. Moreover, we know nothing about what the child's issues are.

djsmama908

My son father lives in Columbus ohio if that makes any difference and he's married to a felon one would think I would have the right to a little support but I guess not..

Proserpina

That doesn't make sense based on the information available here:

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-child-ussi.htm
You're both right (more or less).

You said it depends - and you're right. Hoosiermom is also correct though - and her experience reflects what I've seen in my state too. You can - and are, actually - both be right :D

(I will also state that a quick Google showed me more than a few instances where attorney websites got the information not just a bit wrong, but completely and utterly wrong!)

(And OG is also absolutely right in not assuming that Mom can get cheap childcare)

Holy Hannah. So much "right" in this thread I might need to toss in some "wrong" just to balance it out ;)

Proserpina

My son father lives in Columbus ohio if that makes any difference and he's married to a felon one would think I would have the right to a little support but I guess not..

Your ex's spouse, the spouse's earnings and the spouse's previous or current criminal status has absolutely nothing to do with SSI & child support - at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">