• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Star

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newuser12

What is the name of your state? NY

Question:

Let's say you have a husband who has a child from a previous relationship and the two of you have a child together as well.

If the child you and your husband have together is a child star and gets a good paycheck is the BM (baby's mother) of the other child entitled to receive any of that money? What if dad becomes the child's 'manager' but continues his 'day job'? Is his share of management fees liable to be part of child support calculations?

Thank you!

newuser12 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

Question:

Let's say you have a husband who has a child from a previous relationship and the two of you have a child together as well.

If the child you and your husband have together is a child star and gets a good paycheck is the BM (baby's mother) of the other child entitled to receive any of that money? What if dad becomes the child's 'manager' but continues his 'day job'? Is his share of management fees liable to be part of child support calculations?
Thank you!

No the mother of the other child can not receive any of your childs earnings.

Yes, if your husband is being paid money as her manager, yes that is calculated into child support as wages along with his day job wages.

BelizeBreeze

Yes, the child's income is part of the mix in determining child support, along with any monies your husband would earn representing the child.

abstract99

Belize, I think that this child here is the child of OP and her husband. The other child is from her husbands ex.

CJane

BelizeBreeze said:
Yes, the child's income is part of the mix in determining child support, along with any monies your husband would earn representing the child.
Why would the income of the child be factored in to support his/her half sibling?

nextwife

Similar to the California "Coogan Law," named after child star Jackie Coogan, the New York law requires that 15% of all child performers' earnings be set aside until the age of majority (18 years of age), protecting the earnings of the minor. On the education front, employers must provide a teacher, who is either New York State certified or has credentials recognized by the State, to any child performer who cannot attend school due to his or her employment (when a teacher is provided, the performers will not be marked absent from school while working). Parents will be responsible for getting work permits from the Department of Labor for their children, renewable after six months. Employers will apply to the Labor Department for certificates of eligibility to employ a child, which lasts three years. The law takes effect on March 28, 2004.

http://www.actorsequity.org/TheatreNews/coogans_11-20-2003.html

MrsK

Seems like if dad is manager, the income can be figured for child support. Why doesnt Mom do the managing so the money is safe?

nextwife

MrsK said:
Seems like if dad is manager, the income can be figured for child support. Why doesnt Mom do the managing so the money is safe?
That's what I was wondering! Why wouldn't Mom want to do the managing and then invest kiddo's earnings for their college and adult years?

CJane

MrsK said:
Dad's income could, yes. But not the income of the child.

I'm wondering why dad doesn't just manage the child's affairs without designating himself as an employee of the child. All of that is irrelevant though... I still don't get why BB has said that the child's income would be figured into a support calculation for a sibling.

BelizeBreeze

CJane said:
Dad's income could, yes. But not the income of the child.

I'm wondering why dad doesn't just manage the child's affairs without designating himself as an employee of the child. All of that is irrelevant though... I still don't get why BB has said that the child's income would be figured into a support calculation for a sibling.
the statute says 'combined available income' of the family ;)

BelizeBreeze

S 240. Custody and child support; orders of protection. 1.
(f) The court shall calculate the basic child support obligation, and
the non-custodial parent`s pro rata share of the basic child support
obligation. Unless the court finds that the non-custodial parents`s
pro-rata share of the basic child support obligation is unjust or
inappropriate, which finding shall be based upon consideration of the
following factors:
(1) The financial resources of the custodial and non-custodial parent,
and those of the child;

nextwife

Yeah, Jr doesn't get to actually apply his lawn mowing money to his own college education, now he's supposed to report it to CSE!

Gee, I sure never got to share in money my sibs went out and earned on their own from their own efforts.

BelizeBreeze

nextwife said:
Yeah, Jr doesn't get to actually apply his lawn mowing money to his own college education, now he's supposed to report it to CSE!

Gee, I sure never got to share in money my sibs went out and earned on their own from their own efforts.
I did. When I needed extra money I just beat the crap out of them and took it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">