• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child sueing parent once they are adult

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carousels1961

What is the name of your state? Indiana. Can a child once they become an adult sue their father for back support that the did not pay or put a lien on their property?

LdiJ

Well...I was recently made aware of a couple of cases in Indiana where they were able to do so. However in both cases there were valid arrearages on record.

tigger22472

Well...I was recently made aware of a couple of cases in Indiana where they were able to do so. However in both cases there were valid arrearages on record.
How old were the children? I'm curious since we are one of the states with a SOL

nextwife

In addition to the previous quesdtions about how whether there WAS an order, whether an effort was made to collect, and how long ago the order occured, regarding the question of LIENING real estate:

Is he in title as owner of any real esate?

AS to being able to collect, in addition to the legal issues of laches, and SOL, there is the collectablity issue:

Does he have assets? For all you know he may have been divorced thrice since mom and all the Ex's have most his money!

LdiJ

How old were the children? I'm curious since we are one of the states with a SOL
Mid to late twenties.....it really blew my mind because I honestly didn't think it was possible. These were people I encountered in the "real world"...not on the net. I encountered the first one and then found out that the first case lead to another person doing the same...and a possible third as well...and they weren't in the same counties, just were "connected" in that one of them lead to helping the other.

I posted something here not too long ago about that.

Last edited:

tigger22472

Mid to late twenties.....it really blew my mind because I honestly didn't think it was possible. These were people I encountered in the "real world"...not on the net. I encountered the first one and then found out that the first case lead to another person doing the same.
I wondered because the SOL runs out at age 28.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">