• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child suport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WandaRamirez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My ex-husband is requesting child support after being divorce for 6 years and he never gave me child support for my two oldest kids, he took the youngest which is turning 18 in 15 days, I am not working at this moment, what can I do? He is a very violent person and for that reason I didnt pursue the child support for my two kids.

Antigone*

My ex-husband is requesting child support after being divorce for 6 years and he never gave me child support for my two oldest kids, he took the youngest which is turning 18 in 15 days, I am not working at this moment, what can I do? He is a very violent person and for that reason I didnt pursue the child support for my two kids.
Did he already file?

WandaRamirez

Did he already file?
yes he did

Antigone*

yes he did
So he filed, in court, for child support for your youngest child who is turning 15 in a few days?

If that is true, then don't bank on him getting much. The fact that you did not ask for support does not earn you any brownie points. You really should have.

WandaRamirez

So he filed, in court, for child support for your youngest child who is turning 15 in a few days?

If that is true, then don't bank on him getting much. The fact that you did not ask for support does not earn you any brownie points. You really should have.
my youngest is turning 18 years in 15 days

Silverplum

I wouldn't be surprised if Dad's case was just dismissed entirely: there's no point in ordering support for 15 juvenile days at Dad's house.

mistoffolees

I wouldn't be surprised if Dad's case was just dismissed entirely: there's no point in ordering support for 15 juvenile days at Dad's house.
It may not even be 15 days. Dad is REQUESTING support - but is that just a request from you or has he actually filed for CS? Is there a hearing scheduled? If he hasn't actually filed, just ignore him - until he files.

Some people think that they will get years of retroactive child support. It could be that as soon as he learns that it's not going to be retroactive (or, at least, not predating the date he filed), he may drop it.

mistoffolees

I got served on 8/20/2011 so i have 20 days to respond to the court and the last day to respond will be on my youngest birthday sept 8
I agree with Tink. You'll need to respond, but point out that the child will be an adult before the hearing occurs and therefore there is no need to even have the hearing.

What is ex requesting? If he's requesting child support to begin somewhere in the past (earlier than the date that he filed), you should also point out to the court that child support can not be made retroactive. Of course, you could tell Dad that you'll be happy to agree to child support being retroactive for this kid if he agrees to pay 6 years worth of support for the older ones.

Antigone*

I agree with Tink. You'll need to respond, but point out that the child will be an adult before the hearing occurs and therefore there is no need to even have the hearing.

What is ex requesting? If he's requesting child support to begin somewhere in the past (earlier than the date that he filed), you should also point out to the court that child support can not be made retroactive. Of course, you could tell Dad that you'll be happy to agree to child support being retroactive for this kid if he agrees to pay 6 years worth of support for the older ones.
You might have missed this Misto

got served on 8/20/2011 so i have 20 days to respond to the court and the last day to respond will be on my youngest birthday sept 8
I do suggest that the OP file her response stating that the child in question is no longer a child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">