• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support for 14 yr. old; dad not on birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nomoredeadbeat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia
I had my 14 yr. old out of wedlock when I was 20 yrs. old. The father refused to take a DNA test and "disappeared" from my life. I continued working at the same place until my marriage to someone else 5 yrs. later. I tried several times before my marriage to get in touch with him to no avail. I have now found him, he lives in AL, and have contacted him for child support as well as emotional support for our son. He insisted on a DNA test, which proved that he was indeed the father. He didn't want to pay a fair amount and I've retained a lawyer in AL that doesn't seem to know much more than I do about the legalities. Given the situation(his not being on the birth certificate and pretending not to know that he was the father), is it reasonable for me to get child support for all the years that he didn't pay(1994-2008)? How about money towards college? a car? etc. I currently work and am going to school for my B.S. in Nursing and he is a college graduate making over 60k a yr.

TinkerBelleLuvr

She'll probably need an attorney in both Georgia and Alabama. Georgia because that where there is jurisdiction over both her and the child. Alabama because he doesn't necessarily have ties to Georgia. The term is failing me, but basically Georgia couldn't order him to do anything.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia
I had my 14 yr. old out of wedlock when I was 20 yrs. old. The father refused to take a DNA test and "disappeared" from my life. I continued working at the same place until my marriage to someone else 5 yrs. later. I tried several times before my marriage to get in touch with him to no avail. I have now found him, he lives in AL, and have contacted him for child support as well as emotional support for our son. He insisted on a DNA test, which proved that he was indeed the father. He didn't want to pay a fair amount and I've retained a lawyer in AL that doesn't seem to know much more than I do about the legalities. Given the situation(his not being on the birth certificate and pretending not to know that he was the father), is it reasonable for me to get child support for all the years that he didn't pay(1994-2008)? How about money towards college? a car? etc. I currently work and am going to school for my B.S. in Nursing and he is a college graduate making over 60k a yr.
Not at all reasonable.

He's NOT the father, legally, until he's declared one by the Court. NOW he's the father. THEN, he was not.

It's in good part due to having a child out of wedlock. Choices = Consequences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">