• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support for 18 year old in high school**************.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tesla15a

I am in California and my son will be 18 in August. He will also start his Senior year of High School. His father said he will stop paying child support when our son turns 18 and he does not care that our son is still in High School. Our son is behind in credits and is attending a High School that will help him to catch up. He attends but usually seems to miss a day or two a week. He will be attending summer school as well. Is it legal for the father to stop paying because he thinks our son will not graduate even though the son still goes to school? Dad says take me to court...I am not paying. What are my legal options to make him help support our son through his Senior year of High School? Can Dad legally say he is behind so it doesnt matter? I though as long as he was stilled enrolled and trying until he is 19 that support has to be paid..... Thank you in advance for your help.....

Proserpina

I am in California and my son will be 18 in August. He will also start his Senior year of High School. His father said he will stop paying child support when our son turns 18 and he does not care that our son is still in High School. Our son is behind in credits and is attending a High School that will help him to catch up. He attends but usually seems to miss a day or two a week. He will be attending summer school as well. Is it legal for the father to stop paying because he thinks our son will not graduate even though the son still goes to school? Dad says take me to court...I am not paying. What are my legal options to make him help support our son through his Senior year of High School? Can Dad legally say he is behind so it doesnt matter? I though as long as he was stilled enrolled and trying until he is 19 that support has to be paid..... Thank you in advance for your help.....

Depends on how the order is worded.

Does this appear?

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fam&group=03001-04000&file=3900-3902

Proserpina

Uh...are you sure you're not missing out some vital info?

Like...the whole pot-smoking thing? Probation?

(check your other thread)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Hmmm... maybe Dad is tired of supporting your son's drug habit? IS your son going to be able to make up his credits in time to graduate, while "seem(ing) to miss" one to two days a week? What are you doing about THAT problem? I asume this is your younger son - is he following in his brother's footsteps? Maybe Dad has seem this all before...

Proserpina

Hmmm... maybe Dad is tired of supporting your son's drug habit? IS your son going to be able to make up his credits in time to graduate, while "seem(ing) to miss" one to two days a week? What are you doing about THAT problem? I asume this is your younger son - is he following in his brother's footsteps? Maybe Dad has seem this all before...

If we're right - and at this point I think we are - then I can absolutely understand Dad's feelings.

Perhaps though might we suggest another choice?

How about kiddo goes to live with Dad, then Mom can pay Dad child support and perhaps let Dad have a shot at raising him ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">