• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support for 18 year old in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisav

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Rhode Island
I am divorced now for almost two years. My divorce decree states that I pay child support to the minor child. I interpreted that as 18 years of age. My son dropped out of school last April. Child support ended in October when he turned 18. I continued to pay child support until age 18 even though he was not attending school. On November 30th my Ex-wife moved out of state with child (I have joint custody) without any notice to me and enrolled him in school in Virginia. On the same day she had me served with papers for back child support from Oct 18 until current date. Am I responsible for this child support?

rmet4nzkx

The age of majority in RI is 18. Child support (CS) does not just stop and emancipation does not automatically occur: you must file with the court to end support. If you do not, it will continue to age 19, so in this case if you were to file tomorrow you would still owe from 10-18-4 2 months unless the ocurt will allow some modification, but better than an additional 10 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">