• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support for 18yr old allegedly in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisav

What is the name of your state?RI

I am paying child support for my 18 year old son who is allegedly in school.
I say allegedly because my ex-wife sold the house and moved to Virgina with no forwarding address. The child support is direct deposited into her
account so I am not sending the payments by mail. I do not believe my son is in school and feel if he is not then I should not paying child support for an 18 year old adult. My question is what is the best resource for finding an address so that I can find out what school he would be attending. I have joint custody - which really means nothing with an 18 year old. I do not have the money to pay a private investigator or lawyer to research this.
Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited:

He is your flesh and blood,give him the benefit of the doubt.Why are you so sure your ex wife is pocketing the money?College is a huge expense now a days and it should not be shouldered by the mother alone. You should hope and pray that things are going well for him ,that he is in school and your meager little financial contribution is helping him to be able to be a productive member of this world and that he will be able to support his family. And by the way, hopefully he has learned from your mistakes and will never wonder if his son is in school or not!!!

lisav

Ignorant Advise

Obviously you have an opinion but not alot of knowledge about this situation.
My son went to school every day when I was living in the home. When his mother and I separated she no longer made this a requirement of my son. Me not being in the home had no control over the situation. In Rhode Island, if you do not go to school, you do not move forward a grade. His mother's way of dealing with this was to let him drop out. She then moved to Virginia claims he is in school and the courts extend child support - with out any proof whatsoever. Let me tell you if it was the other way around they would have me on trial and lynch me. Your baised opinion represents the legal assistance I have paid through the nose for in the State of Rhode Island. Next time you respond to someone seeking legal advise - keep your personal opinions to yourself.

VeronicaGia

lisav said:
What is the name of your state?RI

I am paying child support for my 18 year old son who is allegedly in school.
I say allegedly because my ex-wife sold the house and moved to Virgina with no forwarding address. The child support is direct deposited into her
account so I am not sending the payments by mail. I do not believe my son is in school and feel if he is not then I should not paying child support for an 18 year old adult. My question is what is the best resource for finding an address so that I can find out what school he would be attending. I have joint custody - which really means nothing with an 18 year old. I do not have the money to pay a private investigator or lawyer to research this.
Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
File to emancipate the child and terminate child support. File in the county and state that currently controls the order (RI). Do it now.

VeronicaGia

username43 said:
He is your flesh and blood,give him the benefit of the doubt.Why are you so sure your ex wife is pocketing the money?College is a huge expense now a days and it should not be shouldered by the mother alone. You should hope and pray that things are going well for him ,that he is in school and your meager little financial contribution is helping him to be able to be a productive member of this world and that he will be able to support his family. And by the way, hopefully he has learned from your mistakes and will never wonder if his son is in school or not!!!
What makes you think parents are financially responsible to pay for college? This has nothing to do with giving the adult child the benefit of the doubt, it has everything to do with not giving the CP the benefit of the doubt.

Unless he is court ordered to pay for college (hopefully our poster is NOT), he is under no obligation to do so. Let the adult child get a J-O-B.

WhiteMidnight

VeronicaGia said:
What makes you think parents are financially responsible to pay for college?

I believe most people would agree with you on that one, however, a student is considered a dependant of the parent until the age of 24. That's why it is so difficult to get financial aid for 18-24 year olds who do not live at home. Their parents are still expected to contribute to the "child's" education.

To the original poster, someone posted this on another thread. I haven't tried it before but it may help you find out. http://www.omnitrace.com/

good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">