• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support for 2 Mothers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cherrydoll

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My ex has a child support order from his ex-wife for his first two children ages 12 and 14. We have a 1.5 year old daughter. We are no longer together and I am seeking child support. While we were together he always complained about paying "so much child support". We broke up, he moved to AZ and is working two jobs out there. I recently found out through the child support department that he isn't paying any child support to his first two children. His ex wife obtained a judgement but it was never enforced since he stopped working shortly after and she filed privately not through the DCSS. What I would like to know is since I am filing child support and no other orders are currently appearing, my child is getting treated as 'first born' and I am receiving the maximum on his total income. I am currently awaiting for the court date for the judgement. I intend on telling his ex wife after I go to court that he is in fact working so that she can start collecting as well since I believe if he has children he should support them. My question is, if after I tell her will my amount be reduced even though the judgement for my childsupport is awarded as "first born"? He also just had a FOURTH child with his current gf.

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My ex has a child support order from his ex-wife for his first two children. We have a 1.5 year old daughter. We are no longer together and I am seeking child support. While we were together he always complained about paying "so much child support". We broke up, he moved to AZ and is working two jobs out there. I recently found out through the child support department that he isn't paying any child support to his first two children. His ex wife obtained a judgement but it was never enforced since he stopped working shortly after and she filed privately not through the DCSS. What I would like to know is since I am filing child support and no other orders are currently appearing, my child is getting treated as 'first born' and I am receiving the maximum on his total income. I am currently awaiting for the court date for the judgement. I intend on telling his ex wife after I go to court that he is in fact working so that she can start collecting as well since I believe if he has children he should support them. My question is, if after I tell her my amount will my amount be reduced after the judgement has been awarded and my childsupport is awarded as "first born"? He also just had a FOURTH child with his current gf.

If her order actually predates yours, you would typically receive less than she. So which is it?

cherrydoll

If her order actually predates yours, you would typically receive less than she. So which is it?
Hers is before mine but since it is not appearing I am getting child support for his total income. Her amount is not being subtracted when calculating mine.

OHRoadwarrior

Don't be surprised when you discover it will be you primarily supporting this child. The first filed normally gets the chunk. The second to file is usually deemed to have known better than to get pregnant by a guy broke from paying child support and gets a significantly lower award. Lying about the first order can get you charged for supplying false information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">