• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CABADILLA

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

My husband fathered a child during a brief separation we had. Now the mother of this child is leaving threatening messages, stating she is going to have my wages garnished for child support. My husband was helping with diapers, formula and 1/2 the baby sitters fees (he did not trust her with money). He lost his job 2 weeks ago due to a merger, and she's desperate for help. Now I found out his name is not even on the birth certificate (we were going to attempt for joint custody or visitation rights, since she only allows him to see this child when she shops at our local Target). What exactly is she entitled to take from us? She states because I'm supporting him, that she can garnish my wages.

nextwife

Has paternity been established? I sure hope he didn't agree to sign anything UNTIL his paternity was established by DNA testing.

If no paternity has been legally established, at present, he has NEITHER rights nor responsibilities. IF she gets state aid and he IS proven the father, he WILL need to pay the state back.

Last edited:

CABADILLA

His paternity has not been established. Also, he did agree to sign the docs at the hospital, completed most of the form but failed to sign. She refused to get state aid since she doesn't want to be known as a "welfare mom". Prior to her threats and harrassment (saturday I received 29 bogus text messages from her, and 18 messages on my cell phone), we were discussing the issues needed to seek custody (she has 5 other children she lost custody to her ex, and lives in her sisters home where the dining room is her room). Yes I know, he picked a winner (as did I).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">