• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Geminias

Ohio

Recently my step father was sent papers asking him to show up in court regarding child support, as it would appear he hasn't been paying for his 17 year old daughter for around three months.

Her mother is a disabled woman with one leg, she is on social security disability and I am not sure but i believe she works a little. The daughter is a teenage parent. I understand that not paying child support is illegal however she is one of three children. The other two have long since been 18 never once has the mother payed for thier child support to my step dad which includes fifteen years of care to the youngest daughter.

Undoubtfully he is going to end up paying regardless, to the mother of his girl but, is there any way to recieve back pay on the other children for the years that she didnt pay. Also visitation was never canceled though it was rare that they would ever see her.

I personally am looking at law as a future career so this really intrigues me. I agree on the one hand that he should pay for the past months, however since she never payed for all those years should he still be susceptible to the full blunt of the charges? Any advice would be great

Thanks for your time

king sol

Child support is not a "she paid this", "he paid that"...

Child support is for the current care of the child.

Was there ever an order for child support obligating Dad? If not, it Dad's own fault that child support was not ordered. If Mom simply chose not to pay, she will have an arreage, which Dad is entitled to collect.

Dad is looking at only a few months, he supported his children by himself for 15 years...

My guess is that it is not Mom seeking child support. It is probably child support services on behalf of the welfare department. If the Daughter had a baby, she most likely is on welfare, since Mom is on disability.

Just for added worry.....I read a case a few years ago, which obligated Dad to repay child support for both his minor daughter and his new grandchild.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">