• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alanle

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband has a child out of wedlock who lives in Navada. He has been sending money since she was 6. They do not have a formal agreement. The mother has been accepting the checks as payment since. The child turns 18 in a matter of weeks, then graduates from high school soon after. Is there anyway they can come after us or just him now or after the birthday? Even for higher education? He plans on sending the last check the month of the birthday and then stop. If the child calls him and request assistance with books or living expenses he will gladly do what he can. But we need to know the legal (if any) obligatins. Thank you.

Alanle

EASY Child Support Question

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband has a child out of wedlock who lives in Navada. He has been sending money since she was 6. They do not have a formal agreement. The mother has been accepting the checks as payment since. The child turns 18 in a matter of weeks, then graduates from high school soon after. Is there anyway they can come after us or just him now or after the birthday? Even for higher education? He plans on sending the last check the month of the birthday and then stop. If the child calls him and request assistance with books or living expenses he will gladly do what he can. But we need to know the legal (if any) obligatins. Thank you.

Alanle

Still need more info

I appreciate the fact that you say "her time is running out" but can she still file even though she has been accepting the payments for the pat 12 years?
thanks!!!

Zephyr

yes she can file but the child support would not likely be retroactive, it would only go from the date of filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">