• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pickle915

What is the name of your state? CA

My exhusband is required to pay me child support based on our parenting schedule. He has been paying me on time since it was court ordered. From my understanding cs is based on the time that our son is with me. He feels that on the weekends he has our son, I HAVE to provide him with clothes. According to him that is why he pays me cs. Do I have to provide him with anything with that money?

Silverplum

pickle915 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My exhusband is required to pay me child support based on our parenting schedule. He has been paying me on time since it was court ordered. From my understanding cs is based on the time that our son is with me. He feels that on the weekends he has our son, I HAVE to provide him with clothes. According to him that is why he pays me cs. Do I have to provide him with anything with that money?
Do a search of these forums. The answers are all over the place.

Basically, my answer would be: you are NOT "providing for Dad," you are providing for your KID. So is Dad, by paying CS and seeing his kid.

When you think of it as for the kid, all the pissy me-me-me stuff melts into the background.

MrsK

Does your court order say anything about it?

And if I were you, I'd provide him with the clothes. Why WOULDNT you do it? Apparently dad thinks thats a big deal and if you DONT do it, he might buy crappy clothes for him to wear while he is there....personally, for the sake of my kid, I'd do it.

Becki C.

why be so petty? provide the kid with clothes for visits to his dad. this is for your kid. not your ex. i would certainly do it to make sure my child had the proper clothng to wear. keep your eye on the ball. would you want your ex to only send your child to you with the clothes on his back for a weekend visit if you were providing financial support? what is this saying to your kid? do you want him/her to think that you don't care enough to pack a suitcase/duffelbag for him/her just to give a "screw you" to your ex?

NotSoNew

does he get a credit for his parenting time?

really that IS what he pays you child support for, is it so hard to provide clothes for two days?

philliesgirl53

I agree that since he is paying support, that should be going towards buying him clothes and such, so you should provide clothes for the weekends he is with him. My ex has my son every other weekend, and I always pack his bag with plenty of clothes, pajamas, underwear, etc.

E

eme76

NotSoNew said:
does he get a credit for his parenting time?
really that IS what he pays you child support for, is it so hard to provide clothes for two days?
in ca part of the equasion to figure c/s is the % of time NCP has w/child

OP- just as others have said...do what is right for your child, send what they need...and remember to love your child more than you hate your ex;)

NotSoNew

eme76 said:
in ca part of the equasion to figure c/s is the % of time NCP has w/child

OP- just as others have said...do what is right for your child, send what they need...and remember to love your child more than you hate your ex;)
right the same is true for for NJ but if the NCP has under a certain amount of time they dont get the credit. dont know if that is true for CA and she didnt say how much time her ex has.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">