• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrQball

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I need to get my CS lowered. I pay almost $100 a piece weekly for 2 of my kids plus insurance for 1. I am now engaged with 2 kids with her that are mine. I can't really help her out with my kids with bills or anything because they are taking so much. We understand my responsibility we just need to get it modified or something. I have responsibilities over here also that I can't take care of because they are taking almost all of my money. I am not a deadbeat. I do Pay! It's just like WOW! Take everything. I have visitation rights. I love all my kids and I wouldn't change one thing about having them. I just need some balance. What can I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

I need to get my CS lowered. I pay almost $100 a piece weekly for 2 of my kids plus insurance for 1. I am now engaged with 2 kids with her that are mine. I can't really help her out with my kids with bills or anything because they are taking so much. We understand my responsibility we just need to get it modified or something. I have responsibilities over here also that I can't take care of because they are taking almost all of my money. I am not a deadbeat. I do Pay! It's just like WOW! Take everything. I have visitation rights. I love all my kids and I wouldn't change one thing about having them. I just need some balance. What can I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Do your first 2 kids need to eat less?

I'm just wondering.

Why did you have further children that you can't afford?

haiku

If there has been a significant change in income, you may be eligible for a modification. If the only change in your financials is the addition of more kids, than not so much.

LdiJ

$100.00 a week for two children is quite low as far as child support goes. I doubt that your odds would be great in getting it lowered. However, you can google a CS calculator for your state and run the numbers.

Proserpina

$100.00 a week for two children is quite low as far as child support goes. I doubt that your odds would be great in getting it lowered. However, you can google a CS calculator for your state and run the numbers.

"a piece" would indicate "per piece" or to put it into context "per child". Hence $200/week.

Antigone*

The fact that the OP has decided to take it upon himself to add more mouths to feed to his budget isn't relevant. His kids still need to be supported.

$800 a month for two children is reasonable.

Unless his income has been impacted in some way, I don't see a reduction being warranted.

Last edited:

gam

Wondering when your current order was done. If it has been awhile and your income has increased, you could end up with an increase in CS. You also need to consider if the other parent has had changes since the current order was done.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why do you only provide insurance for one of the two children? Do you insure your other children? Is daycare included in the child support figures? Where does mom work? What does mom do for a living? What do you do for a living? How much do you earn now? When the child support order was issued? Do you have any arrears?

Silverplum

You frequently state things like this:
$100.00 a week for two children is quite low as far as child support goes.
...without having the slightest idea of the respective incomes involved.

Whatever the court ordered is correct for that case at that time.

It IS true that a recalculation may be in order. It IS true that the CS may rise instead of fall.

But it is NOT categorically true that someone's support order IS "quite low."

LdiJ

You frequently state things like this:

...without having the slightest idea of the respective incomes involved.

Whatever the court ordered is correct for that case at that time.

It IS true that a recalculation may be in order. It IS true that the CS may rise instead of fall.

But it is NOT categorically true that someone's support order IS "quite low."
The point I was making, which was quite valid, because his CS appeared to be on the low side, (not much more than what would be ordered for 40 hours a week at minimum wage, per an online calculator) there was not much room for it to go down.

HOWEVER, since I missed the "a piece" his CS is not on the low side, its more in the medium side...therefore what I said was not relevant for this OP.

CSO286

What I tell people who ask about a downward modification after remarrying and having more children is this:

Why should your preceding children be entitled to less simply because you chose to have more children? If you cannot afford to provide for the children you have, then you have no business having more.

Machinist

TRY THIS ANSWER
1. to change the child support you need a change of circumstances. In Ohio its the rule of 10%. You can go to court if the change in support is greater than 10%.

See: Snyder v. Snyder (8th Appellate Dist. 2011) 2011 Ohio 1372 No. 95421. paragraph 43: "A recalculated amount that varies more than ten percent from the existing amount "shall be considered by the court as a change of circumstance substantial enough to require a modification of the child support amount." R.C. 3119.79(A)."

2. the guidelines used by the court for question 8 states:

"ADJUSTMENTS TO INCOME
8. Adjustment for minor children
born to or adopted by either
parent and another parent who
are living with this parent;
adjustment does not apply
to stepchildren (number of
children times federal income
tax exemption less child
support received, not to
exceed the federal tax
exemption)****************************...

Therefore go find an online calculator and determine whether you're over 10% difference in support. If you are then you can petition the court for a modification because under question 8 you'll have two children living with you.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

TRY THIS ANSWER
1. to change the child support you need a change of circumstances. In Ohio its the rule of 10%. You can go to court if the change in support is greater than 10%.

See: Snyder v. Snyder (8th Appellate Dist. 2011) 2011 Ohio 1372 No. 95421. paragraph 43: "A recalculated amount that varies more than ten percent from the existing amount "shall be considered by the court as a change of circumstance substantial enough to require a modification of the child support amount." R.C. 3119.79(A)."

2. the guidelines used by the court for question 8 states:

"ADJUSTMENTS TO INCOME
8. Adjustment for minor children
born to or adopted by either
parent and another parent who
are living with this parent;
adjustment does not apply
to stepchildren (number of
children times federal income
tax exemption less child
support received, not to
exceed the federal tax
exemption)****************************...

Therefore go find an online calculator and determine whether you're over 10% difference in support. If you are then you can petition the court for a modification because under question 8 you'll have two children living with you.
Just make sure you understand that that is a difference of SUPPORT, OP... NOT a difference of income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">