• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texasucks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio/Texas

I had a kid with my girlfriend in Texas sixteen years ago, then broke up with her because she was cheating. I moved to Illinois, where I was crushed in a car accident and was not supposed to ever walk again. Six months later, after 3 months in the hospital and 3 months of intensive therapy, I started walking again. I then moved around the midwest, taking various jobs with companies that all had my information; these were not under the table jobs. Sixteen years later, I am living in Ohio and working a part-time job at a grocery store. I have not had contact with the mother or child. I tried to visit them shortly after my injury, but the mother took off and I couldn't find them. Shortly after getting my current job, I received a child support bill saying that I owed 12,000 dollars to the state of Texas, but this was the first I had even heard of it. Furthermore, they take over half of my part-time paycheck because they are taking based on numbers that I was earning years ago at other companies. I can hardly afford to pay my own bills; I had to move out of my apartment and in with friends, and can't afford pain medication for my back etc.; I am in almost constant pain. What can I do to alleviate these bills? Is there a way to get "absolved" of the child support? I feel that my rights are being violated, especially since I have not had contact with either party for over 16 years. I can't afford a lawyer. What can I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cyjeff

You will not be absolved of your financial obligations to your child.

You could go to the court where the order is filed and ask the judge to reconsider the amount based upon your current income, however.

Proserpina

You will not be absolved of your financial obligations to your child.

You could go to the court where the order is filed and ask the judge to reconsider the amount based upon your current income, however.

And OP needs to bear in mind that this won't wipe out the arrears. Why OP feels that he shouldn't support his child is beyond me. :confused:

If OP is unable to work, he needs to file for disability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">