• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ram27

W
hat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois i am being acussed of fathering children. that are not mine ive tried everythhing and still the state has coome after me expecting to pay all this child support they have tooken all my money and know ..:.:i am living in the streets.

Proserpina

W
hat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois i am being acussed of fathering children. that are not mine ive tried everythhing and still the state has coome after me expecting to pay all this child support they have tooken all my money and know ..:.:i am living in the streets.

What do you mean "they are not mine"?

Have you taken DNA paternity testing?

Or did you not attend court hearings?

ram27

thats right they are not mine the kids were born way long after we split and she knows it but they will not allow me to take a paternity test unless i pay for it and that is very expensive not only that, but how can i pay for it when they take about 85% of mmy earnings.

Proserpina

thats right they are not mine the kids were born way long after we split and she knows it but they will not allow me to take a paternity test unless i pay for it and that is very expensive not only that, but how can i pay for it when they take about 85% of mmy earnings.

Please try to gather your thoughts. Your posts are very difficult to read.

Legally, the State - no matter WHICH State it is - cannot take more than 65% of your earnings. And they can ONLY take 65% if you're already behind, and you don't have a second family.

So, it looks like you've been declared the legal father by default, and I'm sure that you've had several notifications before they started garnishing you - am I right?

mistoffolees

Unfortunately, refusing to take the paternity test is even more expensive. :rolleyes:

Talk to your child support enforcement office about how you go about taking the paternity test. In many states, if you are found not to be the father, then Mom has to pay for it. But even if you pay for it, it's a lot cheaper than paying support for 18 years.

And talk with them about the state cap on how much can be withheld. My guess is that you never cooperated and never sent income statements, so they assumed an income higher than you are actually making.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Unfortunately, refusing to take the paternity test is even more expensive. :rolleyes:

Talk to your child support enforcement office about how you go about taking the paternity test. In many states, if you are found not to be the father, then Mom has to pay for it. But even if you pay for it, it's a lot cheaper than paying support for 18 years.

And talk with them about the state cap on how much can be withheld. My guess is that you never cooperated and never sent income statements, so they assumed an income higher than you are actually making.
It's probably too late for OP to screech about paternity if the state is already garnishing wages. :cool:

mistoffolees

It's probably too late for OP to screech about paternity if the state is already garnishing wages. :cool:
That may be, but maybe someone else will learn from this. A paternity test is not expensive. Refusing to take a paternity test is expensive.

OP really needs to provide a timeline and some details to see if there are any options. However, it seems like the greatest chance of success would be getting the biological father to take responsibility and step in. Even that may not be easy, depending on timeline.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">