• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akm99

Hey guys,

Here's my story. I have a 1 year old that was born in Michigan. Me and my fiancee we decided to move to California because i got a better job over here. 5 weeks after we were here i came home from work and i found a letter on the table that she moved back to Michigan and took our child with her.

Now she wants me to pay child support, which i wont mind paying because its my duty to provide for my child but, how can I watch my back? Not even 24h after she left she called me to ask for money and to pay for the plane ticket that her parents bought her without me knowing. She wants me to pay for the ticket because I told her if she wants to go back, we will, but I will not pay her because she decided to run with our child.

What's the best way to do this? What rights do i have?

Proserpina

Hey guys,

Here's my story. I have a 1 year old that was born in Michigan. Me and my fiancee we decided to move to California because i got a better job over here. 5 weeks after we were here i came home from work and i found a letter on the table that she moved back to Michigan and took our child with her.

Now she wants me to pay child support, which i wont mind paying because its my duty to provide for my child but, how can I watch my back? Not even 24h after she left she called me to ask for money and to pay for the plane ticket that her parents bought her without me knowing. She wants me to pay for the ticket because I told her if she wants to go back, we will, but I will not pay her because she decided to run with our child.

What's the best way to do this? What rights do i have?

You have no obligation whatsoever to pay for any plane tickets.

Unfortunately, you may end up being responsible for transportation to and from visiting your child.

However you can argue that the intent was to relocate as a family; her decision to move back creates something of a hardship for you and that she should be responsible for at the very least half of the cost involved in transportation.

Assuming you're not moving back, you should also start looking at long-distance parenting plans. Visitation will be in MI to begin with, certainly.

akm99

You have no obligation ...... Visitation will be in MI to begin with, certainly.
Thank you for the fast reply!

I'm just wondering how to do the child support? With a court order? Without one? Can she get in trouble that she left like that and took the child with her? I know that if i will be a nice guy, she will take advantage.I just want to protect my back and have some rights.

Proserpina

Thank you for the fast reply!

I'm just wondering how to do the child support? With a court order? Without one? Can she get in trouble that she left like that and took the child with her? I know that if i will be a nice guy, she will take advantage.I just want to protect my back and have some rights.

No, she can't get into trouble.

Wrt child support, either of you can file to get an order in place. While you're not obliged to pay a cent until you're ordered to do so, it's not a bad idea to start putting money aside now for when the order goes into effect. Or, you can pay her now and keep the receipts and ask that these amounts are credited towards any arrears.

(The problem with the last part is that CSE/the court doesn't have to honor the request).

gam

It's possible, but slim that a Mi court will count anything you give mom on your own as anything other then a gift. If you do though, do as Proserpina said, keep receipts. Best to do with checks, and write on there, for child support.

5 weeks in CA is not long enough to establish residency, so Mi is where this would be filed.

Who has paid for the child up to this point? Has the state of Mi paid any state aide including insurance for the birth or the child? How will mom now support the child and do you think she will now seek state aide?

State aide involved with have the state filing for child support on mom's behalf.

You can start looking into the county circuit court and FOC for the county mom will be or was residing in prior to CA. Many have lots of information online, including a very helpful Friend of Court handbook.

Has paternity been established yet? You and mom were not married, so legally you are no one until paternity has been established.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">