• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tiarra05

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I'm trying to take my daughters father to court, he's late on child support and only pays me 119$, he don't call help or anything is there anything I can do also it's so much drama although my daughter and I moved away to Michigan he's in Atlanta . I should be getting more for child support I'm sure.. What can i do?? He's saying he wants no more rights to her..:mad::confused:

momofrose

I'm trying to take my daughters father to court, he's late on child support and only pays me 119$, he don't call help or anything is there anything I can do also it's so much drama although my daughter and I moved away to Michigan he's in Atlanta . I should be getting more for child support I'm sure.. What can i do?? He's saying he wants no more rights to her..:mad::confused:
Do you have a child support order through the courts?

nextwife

How long since the order was issued? Why do you believe the order should be higher- has he taken a higher paying job? Is he paying on any other CS orders?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Yes he's ordered to pay 134, I get 119$ altho he's three months behind..
Then you could file for contempt. Or turn it over to the child support enforcement agency in your state. They probably won't do anything about the past payments, but they can help to ensure that future payments are made on time. And if circumstances are such that he really should be paying more, they can help you determine if a modification is possible at this point.

momofrose

Yes he's ordered to pay 134, I get 119$ altho he's three months behind..

So he's behind $180.00? Not much.

So you and your daughter moved away from Dad - did the court grant you permission?

Dad can not just "give up rights".

Why do you think you are entitled to more support? Doyu have facts to back that up?

Last edited:

momofrose

That's not what she said. She said he's 3 months behind and he has been short paying $15 a month before that.

So he's at least $402 in arrears, plus $15 times the number of months he has been short paying.
OKAY it is still not a massive amount - I would like the other questions answered by the OP though.

gam

Is the CS order from Mi or GA? You were not specific on that.

If the order is from Mi, then you can write FOC a letter saying your ex is in contempt of the order and ask them to investigate. They can do a show cause, you can also file directly with the county circuit court your order is out of. If you go through FOC it does not cost to file, if you file directly with the court it will cost.

He's really not that far behind that they will do to much at this point. And in Mi they tend to go pretty easy on them if they are paying some of the CS. Is his CS garnished? You can ask they do that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Is his pay garnished? Are you sure he is behind that much? Or are you forgetting to take into consideration HOW the garnishment works? He can be ordered to pay X amount per mouth and his "monthly" payments do not add up to that but are you taking into consideration that there are 13 months per year? If he pays MORE than ONCE per calendar month then your calculations are off.

CSO286

When paid biweekly, there are 26 pay days....I am thinking that is where the "13 months" comes in.....

Most people will only say they get paid twice a month, and forget that twice a year there are three paydays in one month.....

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Technically there might be 13 "pay" months...aw heck I'm not explaining this well (I've tried to re-word this several times).

I think that's what OG is saying.
Yeah that is what I am saying. 52 weeks divided by 4 weeks per month equals 13. If you get paid every other week, there are actually 13 "pay" months. Which means the $119 might be right on target.

Multiply 119 by 13 and divide by 134 and you get nearly 12. So if you take into consideration the "extra" pay month you end up with pretty much him being right on the nose. Now granted that is if he is paying 119 every four weeks. But you may be wrong about how far behind he actually is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">