• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GuardianAngel49

Child support obligation

Does child support payments become annulled when dependent child joins the military at age 17 even though the law in Alabama states age 19 or until age of majority or emancipated ?

GuardianAngel49

Child Support

Thx. For the response. One last question. Could I be held accountable for half of car note and insurance that was bought my my ex wife without consulting me ? Or would that have to be settled in court for a judge to decide ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thx. For the response. One last question. Could I be held accountable for half of car note and insurance that was bought my my ex wife without consulting me ? Or would that have to be settled in court for a judge to decide ?
Does your court order speak to this? I really don't see how you could be held responsible for it if it's not ordered.

Silverplum

That depends upon the judge and your court order.

GuardianAngel49

Child Support

The only thing spoken of in court order is half of car insurance. To add to the picture, I just found out tonight that she bought him a new 2015 Dodge Ram truck knowing that he already has 2 speeding tickets and if he gets 1 more ticket his license is suspended for 2 yrs.
So no telling what insurance will cost now with a new vehicle for a high risk driver

Silverplum

The only thing spoken of in court order is half of car insurance. To add to the picture, I just found out tonight that she bought him a new 2015 Dodge Ram truck knowing that he already has 2 speeding tickets and if he gets 1 more ticket his license is suspended for 2 yrs.
So no telling what insurance will cost now with a new vehicle for a high risk driver
You have to comply with the court order, no more and no less.

Child support stops when the child becomes emancipated. Custody and visitation orders go out the window either upon emancipation OR when the child reaches the age of majority which is 18 in most cases. All other provisions of your divorce decree remain in effect.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Child support stops when the child becomes emancipated. Custody and visitation orders go out the window either upon emancipation OR when the child reaches the age of majority which is 18 in most cases. All other provisions of your divorce decree remain in effect.
Age of majority in Alabama is 19. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">