• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I95 driver

hi I'm from NYS. I have 3 children from a previous relationship that I've been supporting for the last 9 years. the girls are 25 and 21 and the youngest is 16. I've mainly given her our mutually agreed support thru bank transfers and money orders but in July 2015 she asked me to give her cash cause her section 8 would question the added income and raise her rent. In November 2015 I told her I can no longer give her cash and I thought it would be best to let the courts decide an amount. Since separating I got married in December 2015 and she served me with papers to appear in court for failure to pay her support. If she lies will the court make me pay retro since I have no receipts? And when deciding the amount will they take into consideration the fact that I have a 4 year old boy to support?

Last edited:

Silverplum

hi I'm from NYS. I have 3 children from a previous relationship that I've been supporting for the last 9 years. the girls are 25 and 21 and the youngest is 16. I've mainly given her our mutually agreed support thru bank transfers and money orders but in July 2015 she asked me to give her cash cause her section 8 would question the added income and raise her rent. In November 2015 I told her I can no longer give her cash and I thought it would be best to let the courts decide an amount. Since separating I got married in December 2015 and she served me with papers to appear in court for failure to pay her support. If she lies will the court make me pay retro since I have no receipts? And when deciding the amount will they take into consideration the fact that I have a 4 year old boy to support?
Is the 4 y.o. your child or your stepchild?

Here are a couple of links to FAQ sites that answer your questions: http://www.petroskelaw.com/child-support.html

http://www.fathersrightsnys.com/FAQ.aspx

Child support in NY stops at age 21. You will not be ordered to pay support for the 2 oldest but yes for the 16 yr old. The support amount can only be made retroactive back to the date the support paperwork is filed with the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">