• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support and additional expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRevak

I agree with CC. If they are that hellbent on getting them back then you need to take the higher road and return them. The only thing that holding onto them is going to accomplish is anger and bad blood, something that should be avoided at all costs when co-parenting is involved. Also look at it this way, if grandma is the one paying HIS child support then she's probably not the one you want to anger....just sayin..

Antigone*

Like I said previously, I am not in the financial position to go out and buy 2 more car seats today! If I was, I wouldn't have even wasted my time getting on here and posting the question!
Let the old lady sue you and make a fool of herself in front of a judge or mediator. It is that easy.:cool:

jones.rachel13

No, his grandmother did not buy them for him. They were given to me! So here is my next question... When I go to pick up the children, if they call the cops will I be required to give them back or is this something she would actually have to take me to court for? This whole situation is just utterly ridiculous and petty if you ask me. I just can't be left without car seats and have 2 babies.

RRevak

Grandma bought them for dad. Dad let mom borrow them, and now she won't give them back.
I'm kinda wondering if that's the case. Or grandma bought them for her to "borrow" until she got the money to get her own and now she's decided that its easier to just keep them permanently.

CourtClerk

if grandma is the one paying HIS child support then she's probably not the one you want to anger....just sayin..
No one wants to see the logic in this statement...

because after all, she could just stop paying and if the OP thinks times are hard because she doesn't have $140 to buy 2 car seats, just wait until whatever money she is obviously supplementing her income with stops. completely.

because if I were grandmama, that's what I'd do...

juss sayin

CourtClerk

No, his grandmother did not buy them for him. They were given to me! So here is my next question... When I go to pick up the children, if they call the cops will I be required to give them back or is this something she would actually have to take me to court for? This whole situation is just utterly ridiculous and petty if you ask me. I just can't be left without car seats and have 2 babies.
And you don't want drama, huh????:rolleyes:

Where is YOUR mother? Go have her buy you 2 car seats. Call a church, the highway patrol or some other social service agency and see if they'll donate 2. Call the hospital where the kids were born.

Even in broke arse CA, there are agencies handing out car seats.

Antigone*

This is is a civil matter. The police won't get involved.

jones.rachel13

I'm kinda wondering if that's the case. Or grandma bought them for her to "borrow" until she got the money to get her own and now she's decided that its easier to just keep them permanently.

They were bought for the babies, I took them and have had them for several months and no one ever had an issue with it until now. His grandmother never had a problem with it because their father never has them, so why on earth would he even need them? The only reason this issue has come up is because I took them over there for him to watch them while I went to work, he tells me he needs the seats after I had already left to head to work. I couldn't turn around and go back to his house, did not want to be late for work. That pissed him off, so now he wants the car seats back.

CourtClerk

They were bought for the babies, I took them and have had them for several months and no one ever had an issue with it until now. His grandmother never had a problem with it because their father never has them, so why on earth would he even need them? The only reason this issue has come up is because I took them over there for him to watch them while I went to work, he tells me he needs the seats after I had already left to head to work. I couldn't turn around and go back to his house, did not want to be late for work. That pissed him off, so now he wants the car seats back.
So you left him with 2 kids and no car seats? What was he supposed to do in the event of an emergency?????

The backstory now comes out....

Antigone*

If you are going to keep going about this whole stupid issue, go to a thrift store and buy 2 seats and be done with it.

Please is this really worth all the drama.:rolleyes:

jones.rachel13

No one wants to see the logic in this statement...

because after all, she could just stop paying and if the OP thinks times are hard because she doesn't have $140 to buy 2 car seats, just wait until whatever money she is obviously supplementing her income with stops. completely.

because if I were grandmama, that's what I'd do...

juss sayin
First off, if she discontinues payments then he will be going to jail. I know she does not want that, so more than likely she will not. He already has another case pending against him which we go to court for on the 14th of this month, so he has a huge paper trail following him and I highly doubt they are going to go "light" on him.

On another note, my mom? What does my mother have to do with anything? I don't live off of others like he chooses to. I provide for myself and the babies on my own, with addition to the child support. And quite honestly, $300/month for 2 babies is not a whole lot. That doesn't cover for even half of the actual expenses. Formula is about $250 alone! I do have the money for car seats, just not right now. Without car seats, I can not take them to the sitter so I can go to work. That is why I am wanting to know because when I go to pick them up, I want to know if they do end up calling the police, can they take them?

jones.rachel13

So you left him with 2 kids and no car seats? What was he supposed to do in the event of an emergency?????

The backstory now comes out....
He told me that he did not need them. I offered to take them out and leave them. He told me don't worry about it. But then after I already leave, he suddenly needs them. Emergency? If for some reason he HAD to leave, there are several other people in that house that could keep an eye on them. Especially since he told me "no, don't worry about it".

The comment "HIS babies'' what is that about? I never said my babies, his babies. They are our babies.

RRevak

First off, if she discontinues payments then he will be going to jail. I know she does not want that, so more than likely she will not. He already has another case pending against him which we go to court for on the 14th of this month, so he has a huge paper trail following him and I highly doubt they are going to go "light" on him.

On another note, my mom? What does my mother have to do with anything? I don't live off of others like he chooses to. I provide for myself and the babies on my own, with addition to the child support. And quite honestly, $300/month for 2 babies is not a whole lot. That doesn't cover for even half of the actual expenses. Formula is about $250 alone! I do have the money for car seats, just not right now. Without car seats, I can not take them to the sitter so I can go to work. That is why I am wanting to know because when I go to pick them up, I want to know if they do end up calling the police, can they take them?
You won't ask YOUR mom for help yet you were perfectly ok with letting HIS mom spend HER money on YOUR carseats? :rolleyes:

CourtClerk

First off, if she discontinues payments then he will be going to jail.
Do your research hun. Do you know how hard it is to put someone in jail for nonpayment of child support? I'm gonna need you to dry yourself behind your ears. People have gone YEARS and not ended up in jail.
On another note, my mom? What does my mother have to do with anything? I don't live off of others like he chooses to. I provide for myself and the babies on my own, with addition to the child support.
You're depending on her. She bought those car seats and you need them or your life is going to fall apart. You depend on the child support for income and if she stopped paying it... you guessed it.
And quite honestly, $300/month for 2 babies is not a whole lot.
No, it's not.
That doesn't cover for even half of the actual expenses.
He was never required to pay half of the actual expenses. I don't know why you think he is.
I do have the money for car seats, just not right now.
Then you don't have money for car seats.
Without car seats, I can not take them to the sitter so I can go to work.
Which is why your life would fall apart if she took her stuff back.
That is why I am wanting to know because when I go to pick them up, I want to know if they do end up calling the police, can they take them?
I'd simply refuse to give them back to you. The police won't do anything about that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">