• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support (adult child wanting back child support pay now)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dhammerman2003

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois but my father is in AZ.

In my mom's divorce decree my dad owes my mom back child-support (enough to buy a new car and help me move on with my life). My dad is currently in a nursing home in AZ and receives a $300 check from social security per month to be spent on his necessities (ie food, clothes, etc.) however from the time I was about 10 until I became an adult (18) he has not paid child support and my mom refuses to get involved.

What can I do if anything to get the back child support money? Is there a statue of limitations as to when it's due? From what I recall at least in Illinois (and I might be wrong) but deadbeat fathers that don't pay go to jail. I am asking if anything can be done and if nothing can be done then that is fine with me.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois but my father is in AZ.

hi! again!

In my mom's divorce decree my dad owes my mom back child-support
okay.

(enough to buy a new car and help me move on with my life).
huh. sounds like a good amount of arreage.

My dad is currently in a nursing home in AZ and receives a $300 check from social security per month to be spent on his necessities (ie food, clothes, etc.)
i'm sorry about your dad's health. poor man.

however from the time I was about 10 until I became an adult (18) he has not paid child support and my mom refuses to get involved.
well, there's your problem right there. it's mom's money. if she doens't want it, you won't get it. pretty simple.

What can I do if anything to get the back child support money? Is there a statue of limitations as to when it's due? From what I recall at least in Illinois (and I might be wrong) but deadbeat fathers that don't pay go to jail. I am asking if anything can be done and if nothing can be done then that is fine with me.
you can't do anything. the child support issue is between mom and dad. not you. you are not a legal party. you want to stick your disabled father who is currently in a nursing home in jail? :eek:

won't happen. if mom won't push the issue (with dad not able to defend himself in a competent manner,m anyway) then nothing happens.

what you can do, is get off your butt and get a job to support your adult self.

Proserpina

And seriously - Dad has been in a nursing home since you were a minor.

Exactly how do you think he's going to pay child support?

I'm honestly curious.

dhammerman2003

And seriously - Dad has been in a nursing home since you were a minor.

Exactly how do you think he's going to pay child support?

I'm honestly curious.
Social Security check as he is a ward of the state. As he does get an allotment of money per month to be spent on his goodies. To me he doesn't necessarily need his goodies (cookies, odols, candy) but instead that money should be going back to where it's needed and that is his family (me, my mom, etc.)

To me he doesn't necessarily need his goodies (cookies, odols, candy) but instead that money should be going back to where it's needed and that is his family (me, my mom, etc.)
Man up and stop posting so many threads!

If you were really "family" to your dad in the nursing home, you would be scrapping money to give to HIM!

dhammerman2003

Not really I would be there to take care of him, visit him, etc. I was just wondering if it was even possible to collect but since it's a NO then I won't do that to him.

BL

Social Security check as he is a ward of the state. As he does get an allotment of money per month to be spent on his goodies. To me he doesn't necessarily need his goodies (cookies, odols, candy) but instead that money should be going back to where it's needed and that is his family (me, my mom, etc.)
I'm sure mommy gave you enough goodies .

Now run along and stand up on your own two feet .

Proserpina

You realize that this is none of your legal business, correct?

If you want to sue someone, try your Mom. It was up to her to collect the child support.

Frankly to want to deprive a disabled man of what are possibly the few joys he has left is despicable.

Grow up, stand on your own two feet and get a job to support yourself.

I'm seriously starting to see where your Aunt is coming from.

dhammerman2003

Grow up, stand on your own two feet and get a job to support yourself.

I'm seriously starting to see where your Aunt is coming from.
I'm working on that as we speak but with the economy these days it's tough and how do you see where my aunt is coming from because I don't.

BL

I'm working on that as we speak but with the economy these days it's tough and how do you see where my aunt is coming from because I don't.
Your father owes you nothing .Your mother owes you nothing .

Period .

You'd be laughed out of the courtroom trying to sue either .

I also think it's despicable of you to want to treat your father that way .

No wonder your mother won't get involved .She has some respect and decency .

Learn by her example .

Proserpina

Because she's right - you're nowhere near mature or responsible enough to handle POA for a goldfish, let alone an ailing adult human being.

Forget POA - it's not happening. Be nice to your Aunt, show some maturity and worry about your father's health.

Versus his dwindling wallet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">