• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support affect inheritance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hazel737

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My child's father is currently in arrears with child cupport. His mother recently passed away and left him a great deal of money. He states that he will not get the inheritance because he is on child support :confused:. Will this affect his inheritance? and will it affect the child support payments or rears he is required to pay?

Last edited:

Antigone*

My child's father is currently in the rears with child cupport. His mother recently passed away and left him a great deal of money. He states that he will not get the inheritance because he is on child support :confused:. Will this affect his inheritance? and will it affect the child support payments or rears he is required to pay?
:p:p:p:pBless your heart Hazel.:p:p:p The term is in arrears.

Proserpina

My child's father is currently in the rears with child cupport. His mother recently passed away and left him a great deal of money. He states that he will not get the inheritance because he is on child support :confused:. Will this affect his inheritance? and will it affect the child support payments or rears he is required to pay?

Did he say he couldn't collect the inheritance? (if he did, he's lying)

Or that he wouldn't?

The term is "arrears", by the way :) He's in arrears.

mistoffolees

My child's father is currently in arrears with child cupport. His mother recently passed away and left him a great deal of money. He states that he will not get the inheritance because he is on child support :confused:. Will this affect his inheritance? and will it affect the child support payments or rears he is required to pay?
As you were told, owing child support will not prevent him from collecting an inheritance. It simply means that YOU have a claim on the money first.

I don't have any idea what the procedure is, but if CSE has not been involved, you'll probably need to file a claim with the probate court. I would suggest a brief visit with an attorney to make sure that you get the money owed you. You should be able to collect the attorney's fees, as well.

LdiJ

An inheritance absolutely CAN be attached for a child support arrearage. However, it does require the child support agency to be aware that an inheritance is imminent so that the child support agency can make an attachment to the inheritance.

nextwife

You KNOW she left him an inheritance? Has the will been submitted to probate? Have you checked the filing?

Be aware that her creditors will be paid before any inheritance is paid out.

mistoffolees

You KNOW she left him an inheritance? Has the will been submitted to probate? Have you checked the filing?

Be aware that her creditors will be paid before any inheritance is paid out.
Which is why OP needs to make sure her claim is filed with the probate court so she is paid before ex gets anything.

nextwife

I was commenting that MOM's creditors get paid first.

While she has a claim on any inheritance dad may get, she herself is NOT a creditor of mom's estate. Mom's creditors are first in line.

But she should first review the probate filing and see if there actually is any inheritance named for dad. Maybe his mom did change her will, and that is what dad is referring to. HOW does she know dad IS going to be getting an inheritance if she has not reviewed probate?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">