• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support after 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amyjrn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I have heard a rumor that child support can be extended up to age 21 (if the child is enrolled in college). Is this true in TX? And can someone point me in the right direction where I can read about it. Thanks.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I have heard a rumor that child support can be extended up to age 21 (if the child is enrolled in college). Is this true in TX? And can someone point me in the right direction where I can read about it. Thanks.
Why rely on rumors when it takes 10 seconds to Google it?

Texas Child Support Frequently Asked Questions | divorcenet.com
Routinely ends at 18 unless the child is still in high school. If so, can be continued until graduation.
However, the divorce decree can include wording that support will continue while the child is in college. So it really comes down to what the decree says.

And, no, the money is not due to the college student. It still goes to the custodial parent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">