• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support after 19

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeffrey2016

Can a custodial parent sue for child support payments if the child dropped out of highschool at age 18 and is now 19? There is no court order for me to Pay, as of right now, I have just been giving the custodial parent money every month. If the child re-enrolls in highschool after age 19 can the custodial parent sue for support? -North Carolina

Silverplum

Can a custodial parent sue for child support payments if the child dropped out of highschool at age 18 and is now 19? There is no court order for me to Pay, as of right now, I have just been giving the custodial parent money every month. If the child re-enrolls in highschool after age 19 can the custodial parent sue for support? -North Carolina
I don't think so. I googled and read an attorney blog about CS in your state, and formed my opinion from that. You can consult with a family law attorney in your area and make sure. :) Or google and read, as I did.

Jeffrey2016

I've contacted both lawyers and the enforcement agency, I keep getting different answers. The enforcement agency says no she can't, but a few lawyers have said if she gets him back in school she could sue. I have no idea where to get a definitive answer :/

Just Blue

Per your ^ post you have a bigger issue than $. Your child is a drop out. ...Personally that would be my biggest concern.

Jeffrey2016

Under her custody school was never a priority, child support as long as possible is, damn his future. If I don't have to keep paying her I'd be able to afford helping with a GED program, instead of the money going to her beer and cigarettes. Maybe try not being so judgemental.

Silverplum

Under her custody school was never a priority, child support as long as possible is, damn his future. If I don't have to keep paying her I'd be able to afford helping with a GED program, instead of the money going to her beer and cigarettes. Maybe try not being so judgemental.
Maybe try learning from this site and the volunteers. :rolleyes:

For one thing, you clearly don't understand that CS is to reimburse Mom for a part of her expenses for your son. Does he have food, clothes, water, and a roof?

It is my understanding that child support ends in NC when the child reaches 19 or graduates high school. Whichever happens first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">