• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support after the death of payee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raylene

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My sister passed away after signing guardianship and POA of her estate and children to me. Their father does not want to raise them, but also says that he no longer has to pay child support because I applied for Social Security survivors benefits for the boys.
Does the death of a coparent nulify the child support obligations?
Am I doing something shady if I deposit the checks in my sister's account to cover her house payment untill I get it sold anfd invested for the boys?

S

seniorjudge

If you already have a guardianship established, all monies must be run through there. You are a fiduciary and that means that you must be at all times be prepared to stand before a judge and explain where every single cent of that money came from and where it went. You must take better care of that money than you do your own.

Your bro in law is a real dim bulb. He still has kids and he still has to support them.

I am also assuming that you had your lawyer set up a probate estate to make sure the title to the land was correctly passed?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

and while that answer is correct as far as it goes, your sister cannot, by herself, grant guardianship. Only a court can do so. Therefore, without a court's approval of the guardianship, the dimwit can come and take those children at any time.

Does that give you any ideas?

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
and while that answer is correct as far as it goes, your sister cannot, by herself, grant guardianship. Only a court can do so. Therefore, without a court's approval of the guardianship, the dimwit can come and take those children at any time.

Does that give you any ideas?
I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that a guardianship had already been established as Raylene had indicated in her original post.

If Raylene does not have guardianship established already, I am afraid that when she tries, then that dimwit dim bulb will $ee the $ocial $ecurity money and come into court and want his $weet babie$ back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">