• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support after moving out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkoenig05

I live in Ohio. I am 18 and a senior in High School. I know that my biological father is forced to continue paying child support untill I graduate. I was wondering if my mom can still keep collecting event though I am not there, or can I recieve the support now.

VeronicaGia

jkoenig05 said:
I live in Ohio. I am 18 and a senior in High School. I know that my biological father is forced to continue paying child support untill I graduate. I was wondering if my mom can still keep collecting event though I am not there, or can I recieve the support now.
Go here: http://ocse3.acf.dhhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/report.cfm?State=OH&CFID=350868&CFTOKEN=96484490#4

Read section D - Age of Majority. Dad still has to pay until you have graduated high school. You do not get the support.

kat1963

The judge might find he is no longer obligated to pay your mother either. You emancipated yourself by moving out, high school student or not, you no longer provided for by your mother (no need to reimburse her for your expenses anymore!!)
How come you aren't looking to MOM for support eh??
KAT

rmet4nzkx

kat1963 said:
The judge might find he is no longer obligated to pay your mother either. You emancipated yourself by moving out, high school student or not, you no longer provided for by your mother (no need to reimburse her for your expenses anymore!!)
How come you aren't looking to MOM for support eh??
KAT
Oh but he is, he has another thread, he moved out last night and now expects his mom to support him while he partys at college, he left his car, etc behind.

jkoenig05

The reason I want my dad to still pay is because he has had no involvement in my life what so ever. He never calls, visits, nothing so thats the least he could do after beating my mom when I was a baby and leaving. I don't look to my mom for support because she is one of the reasons I moved out. I left my car and laptop because their in her name. I've paid for everything since I was about 15 aside from rent and utilities. There is no free ride I've had and I already go to college full time in High School. I'll graduate with two Associates Degrees so the theory on partying while in college is void. I'm not a person like that. I hold two jobs, paid my own bills, and attend college 18 credit hours. So for anyone who thinks I'm lazy, your way off. One of the reasons I left was because my mom had too much envolvement in my life and was too controlling. I had no privacy and there was no reason for it. I've never been in trouble with anything. The only reason I want my fathers child support, is because that's all he has ever done in my life and there's no reason for my mom too collect if I'm not there. Oh, and another thing my dad did claim me on taxes even though I haven't lived with since I was a baby. Any other comments I'll be happy to respond to. Sometimes kids move out in order to grow up because their parents don't wanna let go, not to go party.

topsidder

OMG, where are the judge's when you need them.

This post is classic. Quick, look everyone, see what your system has created!

Why not offer dad a deal. Tell him you will accept 1/2 of what he pays mom each month for a year, and in turn you will go to court and testify on his behalf that you no longer live with mom and have emancipated yourself.

Dad makes out on the deal, you get a stipend for a year and that over bearing, controling mother gets nothing!

stepmom65

jkoenig05, I'm actually on your side on this. I commend you for wanting to do your own thing, be responsible as you state. However, unfortunately, the CS that your dad pays goes directly to your mother. It can not go directly to you. That's just how it is.....

This brings up a situation my friend had. Her son moved out of the house, same basic reasons as you stated, controlling mother, and moved in with a family friend. Anyhow, after some serious soul searching, the father and mother both decided to just give the child the money directly, for expenses. This situation is not something that the courts will mandate, but the parents decided together that this was the best for their child. The child used the money for his school expenses, clothes, food and graduated with a 3.8 in high school.

Maybe if mom doesn't depend on the money financially, she and dad can try to come up with an agreement. If your parents can't communicate together, then you're out of luck...

-----------------------
"I'm not a lawyer, just a friend"

marshaandtoby

Speaking from a stepmom

The 18 year old who moved out, how would you have felt if your dad was in your life but you were so used to what your mom did and everytime you went to your dad's, everything was another way and you had to relearn rules everywhere you went. You dad might have cared for you alot but did not know how to deal with your mom or with you. Maybe he thought you would be better off in one family instead of two. Maybe he really does care and he thought that was best. It is very hard to have a child here every other weekend and some holidays and expect to be her parent. When they are here you want to be their friend and just play and have fun but you can't teach them that way and they don't understand because things are so different from mom to dad's. I hope you find your dad and try to build a relationship with him. You will find out yourself what he is really like. He might not be all that bad and then again he may be. You will never know until you find out.
Thanks,
Marsha

stepmom65

I totally agree with marshaandtoby. Also, who knows...maybe his opinion of his dad, he got from his mother...How many threads have we received regarding CPs not wanting NCP to have any contact, etc., etc. with their kids...how deadbeat fathers they are, because they won't pay more $$$.

I'm not assuming he's been programmed to think his dad didn't love him , but if he has, this kid needs to do some soul searching and get to the truth, not just what he's programmed to believe.

It's time to listen to the 2nd half of the story....

jkoenig05

I talked to my mom about child support and she wants to keep collecting it even though I'm not there. I originally built my opinion of my dad when I was younger based off my mother. As I got older and started talking to him more at age 16 I learned how he really is. To make a long story short that is why I hardly talk to him now. He is just as controlling as my mother. I'm begining to think that's maybe another reason why they got divorced other than him beating my mom. I think their similarities in wanting to control things conflicted in their marriage leading to a divorce. My dad lives by himself, has no rent because he lives in a house given to him by his dad, no car payment because his car is paid off, and makes $80k a year. He has lived like this since I was about 15 and never once offered to help other than with child support. He has never been willing to contribute anything other than child support and has told me to my face he feels that should be enough. $70 a week seems to fall shy of the expense of raising a child so I don't know where he figures thats enough. He never calls or visits me, and has told me that he shouldn't have to and I should be calling him. He starting saying this when I was only 14. Situations with him haven't been good I've learned for my self, and situations with my mom aren't much better anymore. I left to grow up and do things on my own, not what my parents want all the time. My mom is still calling me trying to get me to come home to do things for her even after I've moved out, and still pushing towards a degree I have no interest in. She justifies all of this by saying she's only doing whats best for me. Wether or not you agree with me is up to you, but there is so much that has happened I could write a book. I didn't move out becaus I'm a brat or anything like that. I hold two jobs and go to college full time, I'm a hard worker and anything but lazy. The only reason I figured I'd try to get child support is because I've learned how my dad thinks, and there's no reason my mom should collect while I'm not there, regardless of how she feels. I just hope maybe some of you will realize that sometimes kids leave because parents are unwilling to have it any other way. Also, this post or any of my other ones are far from a cry for attention, but to inform people that not all kids are the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">