• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support after Seven Years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mricha62

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

A girl I had dated in 2006 told me she was pregnant shortly after we had broken up. She told me the child was not mine though and we went our separate ways. I just received papers in the mail today that said she was claiming me to be the father of her now seven, almost eight year old child and that she wants child support starting from May of 2013 to the present time. I am wondering is there any kind of legal action that I can take (assuming a paternity test does prove me to be the father) against paying child support due to the fact that she told me years ago that I was not the father, and that she's only just now asking for child support six-seven years after the child's birth? Is there any other stand point I can take on this case that could possibly be in my favor?

Thanks.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

A girl I had dated in 2006 told me she was pregnant shortly after we had broken up. She told me the child was not mine though and we went our separate ways. I just received papers in the mail today that said she was claiming me to be the father of her now seven, almost eight year old child and that she wants child support starting from May of 2013 to the present time. I am wondering is there any kind of legal action that I can take (assuming a paternity test does prove me to be the father) against paying child support due to the fact that she told me years ago that I was not the father, and that she's only just now asking for child support six-seven years after the child's birth? Is there any other stand point I can take on this case that could possibly be in my favor?

Thanks.

No.

If you're the father, child support will be owed (generally) from the date of filing.

Eekamouse

If it's your kid, you are going to be responsible for supporting the child whether you want to or not.

aardvarc

She told me the child was not mine though and we went our separate ways. is there any kind of legal action that I can take (assuming a paternity test does prove me to be the father) against paying child support due to the fact that she told me years ago that I was not the father
As far as the courts are concerned, YOU and ONLY YOU are responsible for knowing if any of your sperm escaped your body; and if those sperm may have resulted in a pregnancy the burden to find out for sure rests with you - regardless of what a woman tells you. Unless you submitted to a DNA test BACK THEN, that confirmed you as not being the father, then the possibility existed that you were indeed a father. That you chose not to follow up on that possibility with a paternity action via the courts isn't on mom....it's on you. Surely you are intelligent enough to look at a calendar and figure out if you'd slept with mom within a reasonable time frame (I'm assuming that you know how babies are made and how long they take to bake before they're ready). Did mom also tell you that she had some nice beachfront property in Oklahoma to sell you?

Yes, it's easier to just believe what people tell you. It's also foolish. Think, and act, for yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">