• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support age limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DREALDEAL

What is the age limit of child support payments in NY? My son is currently 18 years of age, will gaduate high school this month and will go to college in september. I pay $600/month in child support, live paycheck to paycheck and is killing me. I have been paying since 2000. Out of wedlock...His mother married twice after...

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? what is the age limit of child support payments in NY? My son is currently 18 years of age, will gaduate high school this month and will go to college in september. I pay $600/month in child support, live paycheck to paycheck and is killing me. I have been paying since 2000. Out of wedlock...His mother married twice after...
In NY child support goes to age 21. So you have three more years to go.

moburkes

What is the age limit of child support payments in NY? My son is currently 18 years of age, will gaduate high school this month and will go to college in september. I pay $600/month in child support, live paycheck to paycheck and is killing me. I have been paying since 2000. Out of wedlock...His mother married twice after...
His mother's 2 marriages have nothing to do with you. Her husbands aren't responsible for financially supporting YOUR child. Have you even looked into a modification?

fairisfair

and boo hoo hooo,
you have been paying child support since 2000 and your child is now 18. What is wrong with THAT mathematical picture???:rolleyes:

jbowman

You've only paid for 7 of his 18 years and you are complaining? Unless you were just ordered to pay 7 years ago, you may have arrears. If not, you should be happy that you ONLY had to pay since he was 11. Well, not happy cuz that sucks for your child but you sure shouldnt be complaining.

MrsK

While I think its BS that ANY state makes a parent pay past the age of 18, you have only had to pay for 7 yrs and you'll only have to pay for 10 total years. You are really, really, really lucky. There are a lot of ppl who would kill to be in your shoes, only having to pay a few yrs rather than the whole 18 yrs. So, suck it up for 3 more yrs...there is a light at the end of your tunnel.

lugo1815

Paying Until 21?

I thought there were guidelines for that as well. i thought that generally you pay up to 21 unless:

1. the child at age 18 has taken a full-time job or

2. the child becomes a parent themselves.

Why would you have to continue paying CS for a child that apprently has made certain moves to make themselves independent of their parents?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">