• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Age Limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wan2know

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

At what age of the child being supported is the support no longer an issue? In my case, my son will be turning 18 this year but he will not be graduating high school until next year.

CourtClerk

Support goes to age 18, unless the adult is in high school, then it's until high school graduation or age 19, whichever comes FIRST.

mistoffolees

Support goes to age 18, unless the adult is in high school, then it's until high school graduation or age 19, whichever comes FIRST.
With a few exceptions. If the child marries or becomes emancipated, support can be stopped. Also, if the child is disabled or unable to support himself, support can continue past 19.

mistoffolees

But the OP is asking about high school....
I didn't say you were wrong. I just wanted to make it clear to OP that there were other factors that could make your advice moot, although it's unlikely that any apply here-or he probably would have mentioned it.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

At what age of the child being supported is the support no longer an issue? In my case, my son will be turning 18 this year but he will not be graduating high school until next year.
In the event you were asking (or concerned) about arrears, in Cal, they remain enforceable until paid in full.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">