• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Agency Forcing DNA Test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrmtp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

A year ago I was told that from a female that I had relations with was pregnant and she (the mother) told me that I am the father. After the little amount of time we spoke that day, she then told me that I wasn't the father then ended up blocking me... (this was in Oct 2010). By Feb, I found out she moved to Wisconsin, had claimed someone else to be the father and the baby was going to be take his last name. I, however, emailed her asking if she could take a DNA test to prove if the baby was mine or his. She then agreed to this and once the baby was born at the end of May she ignored me and changed her number. I then contacted a lawyer about the issue and she told me to contact the Child Support Director in her county. After speaking to the director she said that she will force her to do a DNA test with the supposed father and if it came back he wasn't the father then she would test me and said that I could call her back in 2 months (beginning of Aug) to check the status. When I did, she informed me that she can not tell me anything about the case because its confidential but if I don't hear from her by Sept 1 then I have nothing to worry about. I then called her back Sept 12th and asked if the case is closed, she then informed me that I have nothing to worry about. I then asked if a DNA test was done and she then said she couldn't release that information but I have nothing to worry about. Should I assume a DNA test was done? I'm still very skeptic.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

A year ago I was told that from a female that I had relations with was pregnant and she (the mother) told me that I am the father. After the little amount of time we spoke that day, she then told me that I wasn't the father then ended up blocking me... (this was in Oct 2010). By Feb, I found out she moved to Wisconsin, had claimed someone else to be the father and the baby was going to be take his last name. I, however, emailed her asking if she could take a DNA test to prove if the baby was mine or his. She then agreed to this and once the baby was born at the end of May she ignored me and changed her number. I then contacted a lawyer about the issue and she told me to contact the Child Support Director in her county. After speaking to the director she said that she will force her to do a DNA test with the supposed father and if it came back he wasn't the father then she would test me and said that I could call her back in 2 months (beginning of Aug) to check the status. When I did, she informed me that she can not tell me anything about the case because its confidential but if I don't hear from her by Sept 1 then I have nothing to worry about. I then called her back Sept 12th and asked if the case is closed, she then informed me that I have nothing to worry about. I then asked if a DNA test was done and she then said she couldn't release that information but I have nothing to worry about. Should I assume a DNA test was done? I'm still very skeptic.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You never filed to establish paternity, nor did you open a case with CSE, correct?

Yet you were told that Mom would be forced by CSE to take a paternity test with her current partner?

Is that right?

mrmtp

You never filed to establish paternity, nor did you open a case with CSE, correct?

Yet you were told that Mom would be forced by CSE to take a paternity test with her current partner?

Is that right?
I was told by a lawyer to contact the Child Support Director and they would handle it. I even told the director that if the girl wants to do a private DNA test then I would be open to it and pay for it. The director then told me that wouldn't be necessary and took down my information saying that would be a waste of money and having them doing it would be cheaper. She did take my information, but I apparently wasn't on the case forms so I'm not sure what that means. I then asked if she would do a DNA test and she said she would recommend to the judge to have one done. I also faxed her my correspondences with call logs to the director between the girl and I to prove that I am not lying about her contacting me. I also know a case was opened because I contacted the county where she had the child and they informed me that they see a case has been opened from the initial county I contacted but they can't do anything about it because the girl doesn't live in that county.

mistoffolees

I see two possible scenarios:

1. CSE forced a DNA test and found that the other potential was actually the father.

or

2. The other potential voluntarily signed an affidavit of paternity.

In either case, CSE would not be pursuing you. They simply want to ensure that there's a legal father.

If you really want to be sure, you'll have to file for establishment of paternity.

mrmtp

I see two possible scenarios:

1. CSE forced a DNA test and found that the other potential was actually the father.

or

2. The other potential voluntarily signed an affidavit of paternity.

In either case, CSE would not be pursuing you. They simply want to ensure that there's a legal father.

If you really want to be sure, you'll have to file for establishment of paternity.
I was told by the director that the girl said she and the potential father will be sending a voluntarily signed form. The director then advised her that she would contact the state and have them revoke it because of the case.

Proserpina

I was told by the director that the girl said she and the potential father will be sending a voluntarily signed form. The director then advised her that she would contact the state and have them revoke it because of the case.

I'm sorry, OP - this isn't making any sense to me.

CSE has no power to revoke an AoP, nor standing to challenge an AoP.

mistoffolees

I'm sorry, OP - this isn't making any sense to me.

CSE has no power to revoke an AoP, nor standing to challenge an AoP.
I suspect that the last sentence is messed up. Perhaps CSE is going to revoke the case because of the signed AoP form. If that's the case, then the potential father agreed to sign an acknowledgement of paternity form without taking a DNA test. So if OP wants to know for sure the only way is to file for paternity and get a court-ordered test.

mrmtp

Just found out that a DNA test was done and he is the father. Also, it does state that the authority of the CSE has the ability to start a case to do a DNA test if..

A: The Mother says one is the Father and the Potential Father denies it.
B: The Potential Father says he is the Father and the Mother denies it.

This situation falls under option B only because there is a possibility of another potential father.

Proserpina

Just found out that a DNA test was done and he is the father. Also, it does state that the authority of the CSE has the ability to start a case to do a DNA test if..

A: The Mother says one is the Father and the Potential Father denies it.
B: The Potential Father says he is the Father and the Mother denies it.

This situation falls under option B only because there is a possibility of another potential father.

Nobody said CSE couldn't start a case.

You used some terms incorrectly - hence the confusion. But, it seems it's all figured out now anyway.

mrmtp

Nobody said CSE couldn't start a case.

You used some terms incorrectly - hence the confusion. But, it seems it's all figured out now anyway.
Yeah, so what happened they started the case and the director would "recommend" the judge to do a DNA test. But the way she sounded it seemed like recommending one to be done was just really a formality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">