• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP was given advice on what to do in post #4. I also seem to remember seeing it mentioned that the OP could sell the ring. That seems like a reasonable solution, except I'd sell it on the open market and use the cash to pay his support obligations.

tuffbrk

Eh - the most he would get is 1/3 of the original sale price - and that's if he's lucky. If the ex-GF is pregnant, and unemployed, she's likely going to be applying for state assistance in which case she keeps the ring and has a CS order put in place. It scares me to think someone as naive as this OP is actually a parent.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Naive because I trusted her to uphold her end of our bargain? Yeah I suppose you're right.
When Mom signs up for welfare, it won't be her but the state coming after CS. Taxpayers are not responsible for supporting any children you spawn.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
For starters, naive in thinking notarization conveys any enforceable legality to your agreement. All it does is indicate that the two people who signed the paper were, actually, who they claimed to be. That's it.

Further, in not understanding that child support is never carved in stone. If she is unable to support your (joint) child? She has every right to file for support at any point in time, no matter what "agreement" you came to.

Further more, not bothering to do any research wrt support and how it all works.

Was paternity ever legally established? If not, Mom will need to have that done before she can have support ordered (be advised that you may not only be ordered to pay back to the filing date, but also further back than that). Of course, until paternity is established and you have an order for custody/parenting time, Mom is under no obligation to allow you to see the child. And no, that will not mitigate the support you owe.

And a further word of advice - make sure you wrap up for any future romantic encounters, whether the girl says she's using birth control or not - your swimmers are YOUR responsibility. You are in no position to have another child at this point in time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">