• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support and Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliehair

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My husband pays a total of $4600/month for child support and alimony. There are some signs that my husband could lose his job. If that happens, we do not have enough money to pay that amount. What would we do? Can we get a reduction? I do work, but my income pays our bills and we do not have $4600 left!

Last edited:

moburkes

aliehair said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

We pay a total of $4600/month for child support and alimony. There are some signs that my husband could lose his job. If that happens, we have no money to pay the amount. What would we do? Could the courts force the money to come from me, his wife, and my income?
Trying to be helpful. Just trying to be helpful. Is your husband the one that pays child support and alimony? Then, please edit your post, to say "HE" instead of "WE". You will receive PLENTLY of responses if you do that. You will still receive plenty of responses, but they won't be friendly.

Here to help.

Silverplum

It makes a difference if he loses his job INvoluntarily, or voluntarily. He can get forms from the courthouse and/or their website, and request a review/reduction.

An additional problem for him is that the reduction does not occur instantly. Arrears will build up, often with interest. He needs to get on this instantly.

Good luck. :)

aliehair

It would definately be involuntarily!!! He wants to pay what he owes, but logistically it would not be possible if he had not job. Thanks for the advice. I want to help him be prepared, but hopefully it will not happen!

MrsK

aliehair said:
It would definately be involuntarily!!! He wants to pay what he owes, but logistically it would not be possible if he had not job. Thanks for the advice. I want to help him be prepared, but hopefully it will not happen!

Upon losing his job, he needs to IMMEDIATELY file for a reduction with the courts.

moburkes said:
Trying to be helpful. Just trying to be helpful. Is your husband the one that pays child support and alimony? Then, please edit your post, to say "HE" instead of "WE". You will receive PLENTLY of responses if you do that. You will still receive plenty of responses, but they won't be friendly.

Here to help.
Why is it HE instead of WE? The money "I" put in the bank from MY paycheck pays OUR bills and expenses......just like HIS does......:p I just don't understand that. It also affects OUR total family income monthly.

ezmarelda

usedstepmom said:
Why is it HE instead of WE? The money "I" put in the bank from MY paycheck pays OUR bills and expenses......just like HIS does......:p I just don't understand that. It also affects OUR total family income monthly.
It is only "HE" who owes the alimony/cs;)

rzack

I agree that there is nothing wrong to say 'WE'. Once you married, you will share every problems and solve it together. There is no 'INDIVIDUALITY' in this matter, unless you are a selfish person and don't care about your partner. Geshhh, at least concentrate on the question, not picking stuff that is not important.

I don't know that one person can be ordered to pay both 'child support' and 'alimony'. Please correct me. I thought a person only obligated to pay one thing at a time, such as if there is child support, there will be no alimony and vice versa. Someone can let me know about this?

MrsK

rzack said:
I don't know that one person can be ordered to pay both 'child support' and 'alimony'. Please correct me. I thought a person only obligated to pay one thing at a time, such as if there is child support, there will be no alimony and vice versa. Someone can let me know about this?
Seriously???

You dont know the difference between child support and alimony?

moburkes

rzack said:
I agree that there is nothing wrong to say 'WE'. Once you married, you will share every problems and solve it together. There is no 'INDIVIDUALITY' in this matter, unless you are a selfish person and don't care about your partner. Geshhh, at least concentrate on the question, not picking stuff that is not important.

I'm sure my dad wished that you were his lawyer! He paid over $10k alimony alone...

To the other posters about the S/He/We situation...The support orders do not say NCP and other/new/current/etc. family. The support orders specify one single person that is responsible. I was simply helping the OP out, becasue I knew what was coming. I wasn't making any judgments at all about her financial situation or how much she contributes to her household.

Last edited:

aliehair

Reality check!

Obviously folks use these forums to get some angst out! I was merely posting a serious, logistical question about the alimony and CS that my HUSBAND owes. While I am his wife and we share responsibilities, he is truly the one who owes the money. I obviously married him knowing about this obligation and WE spend our joint resources on the children in other ways, but legally he is the individual who owes the $$ to his ex-wife and children.
My note was not meant to be a commentary on our relationship and how we view bills, etc. It should not be taken as such.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
rzack said:
You thought wrong.

OP - your husband will need to file immediately for a reduction. However, be aware that he may not get it, or if he does it may be temporary with arrears/interest accruing. It happens. He is, hopefully, looking for other employment options as we type.

aliehair

Thanks for the answer

I assumed that arrears and interest could happen. That would be fine. He has not lost his job, there are just signs right now and I want to be prepared for her sake as well as ours. Thank you for the advice. And rest assured...he will land on his feet if it happens, and he will be back on track shortly. Just wanted all of the facts.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If I were in his shoes, I'd be sprucing up the resume and at least keeping an eye open for potential opportunities. That way, if he is laid off, he's ready to act immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">