• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support amendment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Touché

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I received papers on the 12th of January, my x husband wants to lower child support (which I do not mind) the last part of the paper states,

WHEREFORE, said Respondent prays that the Court enter an Order modifying the Decree of Dissolution of Marriage to order the Respondent pay support for two minor children, pursuant to his new decrease income and for such other relief as may be just and equitable in the premises.

In the origional I was awarded legal custody, visitation of his chosing ( he never chose to exercise it), the child support, I carry the health insurance and I get to claim the children on taxes.

I have two questions.

1) can anyone tell me what " and for such other relief as may be just and equitable in the premises." MIGHT mean?

2) when I first married the X husband I had hired a laywer "George" for problems pertaining to a previous x husband, I paid George and have papers stating that he is my laywer. I then paid George for my husband to adopt my children. We then divorced a few years later. George is representing my x, he says he cannot represent me because he represented him in the adoption.

My second question becomes, knowing he cannot represent me can he legally represent him since he was admittedly my lawyer first and I paid him when my x used him in the adoption?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I received papers on the 12th of January, my x husband wants to lower child support (which I do not mind) the last part of the paper states,

WHEREFORE, said Respondent prays that the Court enter an Order modifying the Decree of Dissolution of Marriage to order the Respondent pay support for two minor children, pursuant to his new decrease income and for such other relief as may be just and equitable in the premises.

In the origional I was awarded legal custody, visitation of his chosing ( he never chose to exercise it), the child support, I carry the health insurance and I get to claim the children on taxes.

I have two questions.

1) can anyone tell me what " and for such other relief as may be just and equitable in the premises." MIGHT mean?
Its a standard phrase that is included on almost all petitions of that nature. Its kind of a "hey, if you can think of anything else I ought to get Judge, please give it to me".

2) when I first married the X husband I had hired a laywer "George" for problems pertaining to a previous x husband, I paid George and have papers stating that he is my laywer. I then paid George for my husband to adopt my children. We then divorced a few years later. George is representing my x, he says he cannot represent me because he represented him in the adoption.

My second question becomes, knowing he cannot represent me can he legally represent him since he was admittedly my lawyer first and I paid him when my x used him in the adoption?
I think its uneithical of George to represent either of you.

Touché

Thank you for the reply Ldij,

This case is going to come to court in Iowa and I am now residing Texas, I am agreeing to the reduction in CS, so am wondering do I have to have a lawyer there to represent me and the papers give me 20 days to reply. I neither have money to hire a Lawer or know what to say in a reply.

Also how would I address the issue of the lawyer representing him (with no lawyer of my own)?

mistoffolees

Thank you for the reply Ldij,

This case is going to come to court in Iowa and I am now residing Texas, I am agreeing to the reduction in CS, so am wondering do I have to have a lawyer there to represent me and the papers give me 20 days to reply. I neither have money to hire a Lawer or know what to say in a reply.
If you're in agreement with everything in the document, then you can agree without an attorney. If you have only minor objections, then you can make your objections in your response. If you have major objections, I'd suggest an attorney.

Also how would I address the issue of the lawyer representing him (with no lawyer of my own)?
You could send a letter to the state Bar Association claiming that he is violating professional ethics and should be reprimanded.

If you're in agreement on the CS reduction, though, I don't know if I'd make it an issue in THIS case - since it's only likely to drive your costs up if you try to drag it into court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">