• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support amount

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stepmomIL

What is the name of your state? IL

Since our divorce my husband has remarried and is now expecting his second child with his new wife. Can the child support I receive be decreased due to the number of children he is responsible for?

angiesmom

stepmomIL said:

Since our divorce my husband has remarried and is now expecting his second child with his new wife. Can the child support I receive be decreased due to the number of children he is responsible for?
No. The first child will take first priority.

But as a side note... it doesn't just automatically happen... He would have to petition for a reduction, and the reason for doing so would have to be more than just more kids. I'm not certain on this, but I've heard that the change would have to be 15% to even be considered. Children won't change that.

Me, I've got a reduction coming because of my extra visitation, plus hopefully an imputed income... I do have another child with my wife, and it does affect the reduction, but only slightly.

stepmomIL said:

In Illinois having more children does not (in most cases) entitle you to a reduction in child support, so if this is the only reason for a modification your ex will most likely be denied. Also, if the NCP"S income has gone up since the last time child support was set the NCP could end up with an increase in child support_Illinois uses the best interest of the child standard in modification requests_Ask yourself the question would it be in the best interest of your other children to get less so the NCP can continue to have more children? I will answer it for you _.most likely not_ Illinois does not seem to reward a NCP for having more children like some other states; they tend to rule that if you couldn_t afford a subsequent child plus pay for your other children you shouldn_t have had anymore children_There are very few cases, normally ones that deal with a NCP having subsequent children with medical problems and high medical bills where they allowed CS to be reduced. But just having another child most likely won_t get it reduced_ I am a CP in Illinois and my ex has tried everything:rolleyes: ...

Last edited:
GrowUp! said:
That is NOT what was asked. Please READ and COMPREHEND what is being asked before posting.
The other poster was right on the money for Illinois...First children do get priority when it comes to the money of the NCP...

GrowUp!

critterperson said:
The other poster was right on the money for Illinois...First children do get priority when it comes to the money of the NCP...
As I read and understood the OP's question, I did not get where there was another child was a support order. I got the impression the other parent was expecting another child. If the OP was inquiring about subquent child support order(s), then the person I responded to would be right. But NOT when it comes to having additional children. Varies per state.

GrowUp! said:
As I read and understood the OP's question, I did not get where there was another child was a support order. I got the impression the other parent was expecting another child. If the OP was inquiring about subquent child support order(s), then the person I responded to would be right. But NOT when it comes to having additional children. Varies per state.
: Either way in Illinois they are handled pretty much the same way...More children doesn't equate to less financial responsibility for the NCP...In Illinois they consider a NCP that pays more than one child support payment to be in financial purgatory until the children reach 18...And if that same NCP has one child support payment, and has more children with someone else… the responsibility to the first children always comes first
(in the eyes of the court)…Some second families normally find this fact out after the birth of their children together, and they always act surprised...I guess I feel that if you can’t afford the first car payment don’t buy the second car...The dealer isn’t going to give you a break on your payment for the first car you bought because you decided you needed 2 car payments…The courts in Illinois apply the same logic… If they allowed reductions for subsequent children in Illinois my ex would be breeding like a rabbit:rolleyes:

GrowUp!

critterperson said:
The courts in Illinois apply the same logic… If they allowed reductions for subsequent children in Illinois my ex would be breeding like a rabbit:rolleyes:
Good point...although I am sure they would start using discretion. One would think a court would catch on if he was becoming a career impregnator. LOL

jpriness73

Gee, Grow up, aren't you always saying, read, re-read, then proofread your reply prior to posting? That one yesterday at 12:17 was filled with errors...losing your perfection?

GrowUp!

jpriness73 said:
Gee, Grow up, aren't you always saying, read, re-read, then proofread your reply prior to posting? That one yesterday at 12:17 was filled with errors...losing your perfection?
Lookie here...another moron with internet access. So do you have a point with your ignorant rambling as I never mentioned anything about proofreading. You may now put your head back up your arse.

rmet4nzkx

GrowUp! said:
Good point...although I am sure they would start using discretion. One would think a court would catch on if he was becoming a career impregnator. LOL
I don't see how having one child with his first wife and one with his second is unusual or makes him a career impregnator, fertile perhaps.:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">