• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support amount is high

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fallsnative

What is the name of your state? CO. I am divorced and currently paying $1000 a month for two children. I currently make roughly 58k a yr, she makes 125K a year. We were divorced in September 05. Can I go back to court and ask the court to reduce my payment amount? I currently have joint custody although their mother has them more than I do. I currently only get them about 10 days month. The amount I am paying is draining me. I've talked to many people who are divorced in this state and who are paying CS and tell me I am paying too much. I take care of my kids needs, whatever they are, whenever they are.

Zephyr

in the beginning did you agree to pay this amount or is this the amount that the court came up with from the child support calculator?

Silverplum

fallsnative said:
What is the name of your state? CO. I am divorced and currently paying $1000 a month for two children. I currently make roughly 58k a yr, she makes 125K a year. We were divorced in September 05. Can I go back to court and ask the court to reduce my payment amount? I currently have joint custody although their mother has them more than I do. I currently only get them about 10 days month. The amount I am paying is draining me. I've talked to many people who are divorced in this state and who are paying CS and tell me I am paying too much. I take care of my kids needs, whatever they are, whenever they are.
http://www.courts.state.co.us/chs/court/forms/selfhelpcenter.htm

https://childsupport.state.co.us/home/indexIndex.jsp

https://childsupport.state.co.us/siteuser/do/general/promptReviewAndAdjustmentForm

"Either parent may ask Child Support Enforcement (CSE) to review their child support order for possible modification. If your order was reviewed or entered in the last three years, your request must show written evidence that a substantial change of circumstances has occurred. CSE will notify both parents every three years of their right to request a review."

weenor

Zephyr said:
in the beginning did you agree to pay this amount or is this the amount that the court came up with from the child support calculator?
AND- was the income you cite before the court at the time or has your / her income changed.

fallsnative

Re Child Support

Zephyr said:
It was the agreed upon amount based upon the child support calculator. However since then I have changed jobs and I am not making the same amount as I was then. I am making about $4000 less a year.

fallsnative

MrsK said:
How much is health insurance every month and who pays it?
They are on my health insurance plan (TRICARE) and its basically deductible based. Meaning I pay $150 each child deductible, then TRICARE pays a percentage based on what care is needed, and the rest is written off. So basically, $300 yr, payed by me.

fallsnative

Child Support

I want to thank you all for your advice. This is my first time here and I greatly appreciate your time and guidance! THANK YOU!

MrsK

If I were you, I'd go to a lawyer who gives free consults, ask him to run the numbers, and then modify my order accordingly. I did a rough calculation w/ your states calculator & it does look like you may be paying too much, but like I said, consult with an atty before you file for a mod.

Silverplum

fallsnative said:
It was the agreed upon amount based upon the child support calculator. However since then I have changed jobs and I am not making the same amount as I was then. I am making about $4000 less a year.
IF the job change was INvoluntary, then you MAY have a chance to lower your CS. If the job change was voluntary, you don't have a case.

And don't listen to "friends" who give you legal information. They're always wrong.

weenor

As indicated by others talk to a lawyer. However, please note your6% reduction in income would likely not constitute a material change in circumstances.

MrsK

weenor said:
As indicated by others talk to a lawyer. However, please note your6% reduction in income would likely not constitute a material change in circumstances.
True, but he said HER's went up "significantly". So he still may be able to.

He really should get that free consult with a lawyer, they usually give those out in 30-60 min increments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">