• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support in anothter state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

myfamily

What is the name of your state? WA

My husband has had physical custody of his son almost his whole life (started caring for him when he was 5mo). At the time we lived in CA. He and the baby's mother were never married. We moved to WA via military 3 years ago. Until last year, there was not a custody aggreement or parenting plan in place. There has never been a child support ordered in either WA or CA.
My question is can we file for "back" support from when he was caring for the child in CA? And if we are moving from this state (the mother lives in a different state) can we still file for "back" support for here in WA?

Neal1421

myfamily said:
What is the name of your state? WA

My husband has had physical custody of his son almost his whole life (started caring for him when he was 5mo). At the time we lived in CA. He and the baby's mother were never married. We moved to WA via military 3 years ago. Until last year, there was not a custody aggreement or parenting plan in place. There has never been a child support ordered in either WA or CA.
My question is can we file for "back" support from when he was caring for the child in CA? And if we are moving from this state (the mother lives in a different state) can we still file for "back" support for here in WA?
Why is he just now looking into filing for child support?
No "we" can't file for anything, your husband would have to do that and it is very unlikely that he would get back support to the time when he was caring for the child in CA.
Where are you moving to?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">