• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support arrearages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rita464

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My daughter's father (we were never married) has lived with me, in my home, for the past 4.5 years. He has never paid any house payment, utility bills, purchased food (beyond a gallon of milk or loaf of bread once in a while), paid child care, medical bills, etc. Can I collect back support from him from the date of the birth of our child?

No you cannot. Cohabitating is grounds for not paying back child support.
I don't understand why you didn't leave the bum years ago or why you are still not considering it. At least you didn't mention leaving him.
He would be responsible for child support from the very day you kick the bum out though.

Silverplum

000 said:
No you cannot. Cohabitating is grounds for not paying back child support.
I don't understand why you didn't leave the bum years ago or why you are still not considering it. At least you didn't mention leaving him.
He would be responsible for child support from the very day you kick the bum out though.
Again...what's your citation for this statement?

Silverplum said:
Again...what's your citation for this statement?
For which statement? The cohabitation one? We've used it in court. They wouldn't be living together but of course she has to file for CS. They would start from the date they discontinued cohabitating.

tigger22472

000 said:
For which statement? The cohabitation one? We've used it in court. They wouldn't be living together but of course she has to file for CS. They would start from the date they discontinued cohabitating.
That's funny because I lived with my ex until Nov., filed my divorce and support in Dec and went to court in Jan and my support was only ordered from the day of court and they knew he'd been gone.

Just telling you what our experiences were in court. I suppose different judges and different circumstances have different results.

Silverplum

000 said:
The statement from your post that I bolded to show which statement I was questioning! Sheesh. Clearly not the cohabitation. The OP is asking about CHILD SUPPORT, not spousal support.

The *fact* is, no one is ordered to pay CS beginning from the day they are kicked out of the house.

If ordered, CS is calculated from the date of FILING. NOT the date the couple breaks up. It's not a matter of judges being different; it's a matter of law.

edited to add: Oh, and by the way, Rita? You are clearly out of your mind.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
000 said:
Just telling you what our experiences were in court. I suppose different judges and different circumstances have different results.
Who is "we"? What state? What circumstances? Yes, all of those make a difference - simply making a categorical statement isn't much use.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">