+ Reply to Thread
    Rita464 is offline Junior Member

Child Support arrearages

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My daughter's father (we were never married) has lived with me, in my home, for the past 4.5 years. He has never paid any house payment, utility bills, purchased food (beyond a gallon of milk or loaf of bread once in a while), paid child care, medical bills, etc. Can I collect back support from him from the date of the birth of our child?
    000 is offline Member
    No you cannot. Cohabitating is grounds for not paying back child support.
    I don't understand why you didn't leave the bum years ago or why you are still not considering it. At least you didn't mention leaving him.
    He would be responsible for child support from the very day you kick the bum out though.
    stepmom&mom is offline Member
    No, because you lived together.
    Silverplum is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 000
    No you cannot. Cohabitating is grounds for not paying back child support.
    I don't understand why you didn't leave the bum years ago or why you are still not considering it. At least you didn't mention leaving him.
    He would be responsible for child support from the very day you kick the bum out though.
    Again...what's your citation for this statement?
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Is he even legally established as the father?
    000 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverplum
    Again...what's your citation for this statement?
    For which statement? The cohabitation one? We've used it in court. They wouldn't be living together but of course she has to file for CS. They would start from the date they discontinued cohabitating.
    tigger22472 is offline Senior Member
    For which statement? The cohabitation one? We've used it in court. They wouldn't be living together but of course she has to file for CS. They would start from the date they discontinued cohabitating.
    That's funny because I lived with my ex until Nov., filed my divorce and support in Dec and went to court in Jan and my support was only ordered from the day of court and they knew he'd been gone.
    000 is offline Member
    Just telling you what our experiences were in court. I suppose different judges and different circumstances have different results.
    Silverplum is offline Senior Member
    The statement from your post that I bolded to show which statement I was questioning! Sheesh. Clearly not the cohabitation. The OP is asking about CHILD SUPPORT, not spousal support.

The *fact* is, no one is ordered to pay CS beginning from the day they are kicked out of the house.

If ordered, CS is calculated from the date of FILING. NOT the date the couple breaks up. It's not a matter of judges being different; it's a matter of law.

edited to add: Oh, and by the way, Rita? You are clearly out of your mind.
    Last edited by Silverplum; 06-03-2005 at 09:19 AM. Reason: to add a message for Rita
    stealth2 is offline Senior Member
    Just telling you what our experiences were in court. I suppose different judges and different circumstances have different results.
    Who is "we"? What state? What circumstances? Yes, all of those make a difference - simply making a categorical statement isn't much use.