• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Arrearages in AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nurturing2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

Here goes, I am a married man who has 50-50 custody with my ex-wife, there was NO child support ordered; however, while in the military my ex-wife received monies from the State of AZ. When I returned back from overseas I was told I owed $5600.00 because I did not pay her support; which I had. Unfortunately, I only had some checks and not all. Anyway, I have been very good about paying; but then I was laid off and out of work for 5 months, my wife gave birth to our second child, etc. I finally secured a job; but was in a catch-up mode, trying to make the car payment, keep the roof over our head, put food on the table, etc., so I did not send the $200.00 a month that was calculated to catch my back child support arrearage up.

My ex-wife has been hounding me for this back money, going as far as sending emails calling me a losing, etc., she forgets we have equal custody of our son, I buy his clothes, I take care of him, I pay for school activities and I have gone so far as securing health insurance on him; since she will not give me his medical card, says if I need it call her and tell her why. So to eliminate the drama, I added him to my insurance, which costs me in my premium.

I am now losing my home to foreclosure and must look for a rental home for my three children. To make matters worse, my ex has contact the State requesting that enforce this, which they have every right; but they send me a letter saying they want $3700.00 from me, yeah right, my priorities are my three children, which includes my son.

My ex wife has a good job, makes more money then me; but she said it is the principle and she doesn't care, that I am a loser of a father. I get so ticked off; but I know I am not, as I said, my son lives with me 50% of the time.

My question is, what is the worse that can happen to me, since I do not have additional monies to pay her right now, until I get monies put away to get another home.

I might add, I have even put braces on my son; since his teeth were terrible and she just didn't want to hear it. My son is so happy and feeling good about himself. Any assistance, advice would be greatly appreciated.

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

Here goes, I am a married man who has 50-50 custody with my ex-wife, there was NO child support ordered; however, while in the military my ex-wife received monies from the State of AZ. When I returned back from overseas I was told I owed $5600.00 because I did not pay her support; which I had. Unfortunately, I only had some checks and not all. Anyway, I have been very good about paying; but then I was laid off and out of work for 5 months, my wife gave birth to our second child, etc. I finally secured a job; but was in a catch-up mode, trying to make the car payment, keep the roof over our head, put food on the table, etc., so I did not send the $200.00 a month that was calculated to catch my back child support arrearage up.

My ex-wife has been hounding me for this back money, going as far as sending emails calling me a losing, etc., she forgets we have equal custody of our son, I buy his clothes, I take care of him, I pay for school activities and I have gone so far as securing health insurance on him; since she will not give me his medical card, says if I need it call her and tell her why. So to eliminate the drama, I added him to my insurance, which costs me in my premium.

I am now losing my home to foreclosure and must look for a rental home for my three children. To make matters worse, my ex has contact the State requesting that enforce this, which they have every right; but they send me a letter saying they want $3700.00 from me, yeah right, my priorities are my three children, which includes my son.

My ex wife has a good job, makes more money then me; but she said it is the principle and she doesn't care, that I am a loser of a father. I get so ticked off; but I know I am not, as I said, my son lives with me 50% of the time.

My question is, what is the worse that can happen to me, since I do not have additional monies to pay her right now, until I get monies put away to get another home.

I might add, I have even put braces on my son; since his teeth were terrible and she just didn't want to hear it. My son is so happy and feeling good about himself. Any assistance, advice would be greatly appreciated.

The worst that can happen? Driver's license suspension, tax intercept, bank levies, contempt, jail time.

Since she is asking the state for assistance enforcing your order, you could file a motion to modify, but you might want to check out the AZ calculator to find out what you could expect to pay:
www.azcourts.gov/familylaw/childsupportcalculator.aspx

Last edited:

CSO286

Why would mom be bugging you about this? Isn't the money owed to the state?
It's quite possible that only a portion of the arrears are owed to the state. It would depend on the type of assistance mom was on and how much she received.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">