• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

demont1969

What is the name of your state? NY

Circumstances resulted in me falling behind with my child support payments and eventually a tax warrant was issued against me. I have three questions regards this:

1. Will the tax and finance department allow me to pay off my arrears monthly? I wish to start ASAP.
2. If they do allow me to pay monthly, will the warrant be suspended?
3. Is a tax warrant the same as an arrest warrant? (in other words am I likely to be arrested?)

:confused:What is the name of your state?

BL

Your Fed. & State taxes will be seized unless or until your arrears are paid up .

angiesmom

Yes, you can pay an amount monthly until your arrears are paid. You should have an address of where to send the CS for your state. Any amount that you send above and beyond your normal monthly CS will be applied to your arrears. You should contact the CS worker in charge of your case and they can help you get started.

nextwife

Blonde Lebinese said:
Your Fed. & State taxes will be seized unless or until your arrears are paid up .
That is incorrect. CS cannot seize Fed and State TAXES. They can only intercept fed and state tax overpayment refunds.

Last edited:

LdiJ

angiesmom said:
Blonde and Next, you are both saying the same thing, only in different words.
Actually Nextwife was making a valid clarification. Taxes are what is due the government.....his refund is what is due him and what can be seized.

nextwife

LdiJ said:
Actually Nextwife was making a valid clarification. Taxes are what is due the government.....his refund is what is due him and what can be seized.
Thank you. Exactly my point. Intercepts are ONLY of excess witholding. NO "taxes" are intercepted.

Same thing for "seizing his tax return", which I see people ask about. His "tax return" is a government form that is filed to establish the taxpayer's calculation of taxes owed for the applicable year. There is no intercept of tax returns - only of any refunds owed as a result of the calculations on the return.

demont1969

Thanks for your help guys. In my case the tax issue (intercepting fed and state tax) is irrelevant as I live, work and pay tax abroad (for a non US company).

I have already emailed the CS dept and requested an application for a payment plan. So that part is sorted.

However, can anyone answer questions 2 and 3?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">