• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support and Arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodmom

What is the name of your state? MO

I was served almost one year ago by a father who did not want anything to do with me while I was pregnant. My attorney fees are so HIGH and he does not have a job and lives with him mom. How will this effect back child support, expenses I've paid for my child and child support?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? MO

I was served almost one year ago by a father who did not want anything to do with me while I was pregnant. My attorney fees are so HIGH and he does not have a job and lives with him mom. How will this effect back child support, expenses I've paid for my child and child support?
Served for what, exactly?
Why are your attorney fees so high?

Your expenses for the child are your expenses for the child. Child support, when/if it is ordered, will go back to the filing date. Where he lives is of no import.

goodmom

I was served with paternity papers. The fees are so high because he will not fill out the appropriate paperwork to tell us anything about him so we have to subpoena banks and jobs he worked at. We have to keep going to court to file sanctions to make him file the interrogatories abut he refuses to answer them. But he will constantly have pre trials for more visitation time with the child and then changes the vistiations at the last minute constantly.

ProSeDadinMD

I was served with paternity papers. The fees are so high because he will not fill out the appropriate paperwork to tell us anything about him so we have to subpoena banks and jobs he worked at. We have to keep going to court to file sanctions to make him file the interrogatories abut he refuses to answer them. But he will constantly have pre trials for more visitation time with the child and then changes the vistiations at the last minute constantly.
Easy peasy…

If you are going to court in regards to CS, the court will REQUIRE him to show this information. End of story.

As for the attorney fees, The Ex’:rolleyes:s lawyer:rolleyes::rolleyes: sent me 80+ questions in interrogatories, plus another 25 or so of document production. My basic answer for most of them was “Pursuant to MD statute XXXX, the attached please see the attached tax forms and w-2’s”. He also threw attorney fees in to his motion. It’s not MY fault(or your ex’s) that some lawyers will request anything under the sun in the hopes of burying the other party(I presume from your posts that Dad is going Pro Se, but could be wrong on that) in paper, thereby driving fees through the roof.

As far as the judge was concerned, I was right(are we seeing a pattern here?:D), and The Ex:rolleyes: paid her own fees.

goodmom

Thanks ProSeDADMD. He didn't answer any of the interrogatories. It was just basic questions, nothing to bury him. Asking his address, where he works, how much he makes, where he banks. He left everything blank except for the portion of wanting to share him equally with custody and didn't sign it or have it notarized. The judge told his atty to have him complete it, but it's been since August. I just wonder what the end result will be when we don't know anything about him and he won't give us any information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">